Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 10-27-2014, 05:51 AM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Whisky & water... A new A Rich Pour column

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznut View Post
The next A Rich Pour column will focus on how adding water to whisky influences aroma and flavour. That article, which seems a logical continuation of the current ARP on glassware, should be up on the Magazine Page around the end of October.
And now it is!

http://www.cigarweekly.com/index.php...neasy-alliance

As always, I hope you enjoy the read.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Great article.

What are your feelings about keeping whiskey in the freezer? I have found that Irish Mist kept in the freezer allows for the cool temperature I desire, without the watered down taste of using ice.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
charlieb
Club Member

That was a nice read. Well Done!
charlieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G View Post
What are your feelings about keeping whiskey in the freezer?
The only whisky I've tried cooled as it poured from the bottle (and then, cooled only in the fridge and not in the freezer) was the now discontinued Johnnie Walker 18 Year Old Gold Label. The producer (Diageo) suggested trying this method. And while cooling the whisky did accentuate the fruitiness and smoothness (the latter possibly due to a slightly increased viscosity on the tongue?), I found that the overall complexity of the whisky suffered.

It's just a personal preference, mind you, but most of the time, I really enjoy getting as much aroma and flavour out of a decent spirit as is possible. And cooling just isn't the way to get there as far as I'm concerned.

Irish Mist is a whole other 'ball game', though. And with it, the enhanced sweetness and textural alteration that cooling offers might just work.

Happy you fellows enjoyed the article.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznut View Post
The only whisky I've tried cooled as it poured from the bottle (and then, cooled only in the fridge and not in the freezer) was the now discontinued Johnnie Walker 18 Year Old Gold Label. The producer (Diageo) suggested trying this method. And while cooling the whisky did accentuate the fruitiness and smoothness (the latter possibly due to a slightly increased viscosity on the tongue?), I found that the overall complexity of the whisky suffered.

It's just a personal preference, mind you, but most of the time, I really enjoy getting as much aroma and flavour out of a decent spirit as is possible. And cooling just isn't the way to get there as far as I'm concerned.

Irish Mist is a whole other 'ball game', though. And with it, the enhanced sweetness and textural alteration that cooling offers might just work.

Happy you fellows enjoyed the article.
That makes sense to me. My cousin enjoys all kinds of spirits, as well as cigars, and he always kept Irish Mist in the freezer. But that was the only one.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

If you want cold but not diluted you could use any of the rocks or metal cubes...

http://www.amazon.com/GLACIER-STONES...whiskey+stones

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:58 PM   #7
vernonator
Herf Meister

Very nice read....and it made me thirsty.
vernonator is offline   Reply With Quote