Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Old 10-02-2003, 04:06 PM   #1
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

Been smoking a pipe for the first time in 10+ years

and really enjoying it. Using a pipe of my Dad's from a pipe tree he had. The pipe is 40-50 years old and smokes like a charm. I'm kinda liking the pipe thing again...

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 04:27 PM   #2
cigarmouth

I got into pipes not too long back, since I did, I have only had maybe 4 or 5 cigars.

Truth is, I would be more then happy never smoking another cigar... as long as I have my pipes that is.

There will always be room for both though.

Smoke from old oily rags = Not good
cigarmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 04:34 PM   #3
red
Herf Meister

I agree. my cigar intake has decreased ninety percent since I got my pipes. I love them. Still love my cigars, but the pipe is my go to thing for now.
You guys must be tonguing the hole or something...Smokerch
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 10:24 AM   #4
love_this
Club Member

I'm a very newbie smoking pipes.

Having serious problem keeping the dam think lit. I think I need to pack more firmly. I do understand that new pipes go out frequently. But I'm only getting one puff before it goes out.

This is trying my patience.

love_this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 12:29 PM   #5
CHESS NUT
Club Member

It is really enjoyable. And relaxing in a way thats a little different from cigars. I do love my cigars don't get me wrong but there is something special about a good pipe smoke. weclome back to the pipe world!
Old 10-05-2003, 11:53 AM   #6
scooter
Club Member

Same here gumby! Just picked up my old pipe after 22 years.

love_this, I have the same problem. After some research on the www, I found that I may be packing too tightly. Different blends should be packed differently. Dry finely cut blends can be packed tighter than the more moist large cut aromatics which need to be packed looser to get more air in the fire. I'm sure the more veteran smokers on CW will respond with their wisdom as I'm still learning myself.....
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 01:58 PM   #7
mrpeccator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
.love_this, I have the same problem. After some research on the www, I found that I may be packing too tightly. Different blends should be packed differently. Dry finely cut blends can be packed tighter than the more moist large cut aromatics which need to be packed looser to get more air in the fire. ......
Yep. As my pipe collection slowly grows I am also discovering that each pipe has its own personality and should be packed accordingly. But man, oh man, is it fun to learn.
mrpeccator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 04:45 PM   #8
CHESS NUT
Club Member

Just thought I'd share a tidbit passed onto me by an old time pipe smoker. To those just begining to smoke pipes or getting back into them.

Each pipe will smoke differently, and tobacco blends will burn and taste differently in various pipes. He suggested to me, if you try a tin of tobacco and don't like it the first time. Hold onto it, then try it a different times of day on different pipes. Ya never know you just may like it. I have to say I took this advice and there were some pipe tobaccos that I wound up liking after all. Also he suggested not being afraid of trying a new tin of pipe tobacco. When youy look at the cost of a single cigar, some are not much more than a tin of tobacco. If you don't like the tin you are out the cost of one or two smokes, but if you wound up liking the tin, you got a whole lot of smoking pleasure for little more than the price of a cigar or two. Hope this hewlps anyone who is interested.