Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:35 PM   #1
DeadmanLiving
Club Member

Fifteen years of cigars

So I have come out from under my rock for a while and as the PSD4 smoke clears I have begun to muddle over all the connections I have to this mystical world of cigars.

I joined CW a little over 15 years ago. At that time I smoked the occasional backwoods/swisher sweet with no firm appreciation for the leaf. Since then through the interactions, tutelage and mentorship of numerous members of this board I have grown to have a very firm appreciation for that leaf.
I have seen member come and go and come back again, myself included. I have seen booms and bust, vendors get consolidated or disappear and brands change hands. The later often ruining what was a favorite for someone.

I have seen heated discussions over some of the silliest of things and generosity that would and should make grown men weep. Almost fanatical passion over a brand, style or region of cigar/bourbon/coffee/single malt/rye/IPA/Ale/on and on and on. Each owing to their own personal taste and styles all the while respecting their other brothers personal taste and styles.

These are just a few of the experiences I have gained from CW, what about you?

Check out my new Blog
DeadmanLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:12 PM   #2
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

Fun post. 👍🏼
I have learned so much here over the years, I have been entertained. I have had knock down drag out fights over things that were really not all that important. I have made friends with people from all over the country, some of which like Jason and Tommy who I have never met.

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:32 PM   #3
DeadmanLiving
Club Member

Seeing 162 active users on the forum with only 5 being members got me to thinking why so many are guest and not members.

Participation is a key ingredient in the making of this community.

Not knocking the lurkers but a tremendous amount knowledge and brotherhood is being missed.

Check out my new Blog
Old 06-26-2019, 04:38 AM   #4
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadmanLiving View Post
Seeing 162 active users on the forum with only 5 being members got me to thinking why so many are guest and not members.

Participation is a key ingredient in the making of this community.

Not knocking the lurkers but a tremendous amount knowledge and brotherhood is being missed.
Not sure if they are lurkers or whether there are other computer search methods in play. In other words, I don't know if there are really that many people looking at the pages. But, regardless, do to Facebook and other social media, the numbers here have been down. With that said, you won't find a better place to discuss cigars than CW, and you won't find a better group of people to share in those discussions.

BTW, nice to see you again. I've always liked your avatar and forum name.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:06 AM   #5
DeadmanLiving
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G View Post
Not sure if they are lurkers or whether there are other computer search methods in play. In other words, I don't know if there are really that many people looking at the pages. But, regardless, do to Facebook and other social media, the numbers here have been down. With that said, you won't find a better place to discuss cigars than CW, and you won't find a better group of people to share in those discussions.

BTW, nice to see you again. I've always liked your avatar and forum name.
We don't use google analytics to determine real from bots? I would suspect that even the hosting company for the site should be able to give some insight, may not be totally accurate but something is better than nothing.

Thank you for the welcome back. Dead to this world and alive in Christ, it is a struggle some days but His grace prevails.

Blogs and forums have taken a huge declining hit as other social media platforms have evolved. But I think we are starting to see some of the drawbacks from these platforms also.

Check out my new Blog
Old 06-26-2019, 05:20 AM   #6
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Most all of the "guests" are bots. BigJohn runs our servers and could shed more light on the breakdown. Member participation is way down, but those who stick around participate a bunch.

Thanks for the props.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:22 AM   #7
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadmanLiving View Post
We don't use google analytics to determine real from bots? I would suspect that even the hosting company for the site should be able to give some insight, may not be totally accurate but something is better than nothing.

Thank you for the welcome back. Dead to this world and alive in Christ, it is a struggle some days but His grace prevails.

Blogs and forums have taken a huge declining hit as other social media platforms have evolved. But I think we are starting to see some of the drawbacks from these platforms also.
That's all Greek to me. I'm not sure how the bots work and all that. Others can probably provide a better response than I ever could.

I think Social Media in general is evolving. But I've seen a big decline in bulletin board style forums as people use FB and alike as their one-stop contact point.

Speaking of His grace, I've always found peace in knowing that, no matter how bad things seem, His grace is sufficient for me.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:40 AM   #8
DeadmanLiving
Club Member

After reviewing the "Who's Online" link I do notice numerous bots like Bingbot and Magpie. Not sure if billing is done by bandwidth or by just space but these bots can consume large amounts of bandwidth.

Check out my new Blog
Old 06-26-2019, 12:39 PM   #9
Smok'em1313

I've been a cigar smoker for over 20 years. I started with Garcia Vegas. I learned so much over the years, unfortunately forgotten most of it. :^) But I have enjoyed very much reading others thoughts on cigars and humidors, etc. I also have attempted to contribute at times. It's been fun sharing opinions and experiences, and I look forward to it for years to come.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:01 PM   #10
CSMAnderson
Herf God

I've enjoyed the humor as well as the information I pick up here. Tons of knowledge both with cigars and other areas of interest. I also depend on God grace to get me through the day. As to bots, I have no idea what that is and why they would be here on this site. Maybe someone will come along and explain.
CSMAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote