Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

First time Guitar buyer....Opinions?

I've always wanted to try to learn and instrument.

I don't want to dump a ton of $ into it, until I see how I like it.

I looked at the whole Acoustic vs Electric thing. Then I came to the conclusion that I might " Go Animal House" on an Acoustic, if I got mad at it.............so, Electric it is.

I got my eye on a Fender: Squire Bullet Electric in Brown Sunburst or all Black.

The local Guitar Center has them for $100 Bucks on sale. That seems like a good deal on a name brand product.

The other candidate was the Epiphone: LE Les Paul II in Black at $169.

The Fender is bigger and seems to "fit" me size wise, the Les Paul II is kinda small and not a Lap Guitar, if that makes sense.

So, I'm leaning that direction. Is there an inherent advantage to "Double" verses "Triple" Pick Ups?

Also, any opinions on the various instruction books, videos, ect?

What about simple tuning tips?

Again, I'm a total newb here.

Thoughts, anyone?

TIA,

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody

Last edited by bsslack; 12-09-2008 at 06:51 PM.
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:51 PM   #2
gui_tarzan
Herf God

Absolutely. The Squire is a great starter guitar. The sound quality won't be near what an American Strat (or Tele) would be because the wood is not of sufficient tone quality but you can make decent guitars out of them. I have a Squire P-Bass that plays and sounds pretty good but nothing like my American Jazz Bass.

The Epiphone (made by Gibson) is similar but a little better quality than the Squire. It also has a bolt-on neck like the Fender does instead of a glued-on neck. This takes away from the sustain and tone just a bit but most people don't notice. I have a Les Paul Jr. Epiphone that really plays well and sounds great with the replacement Duncan SH-1 pickup. It almost sounds as good as a friend's genuine LP Jr.

Some differences - the Fender has a 25 1/2" scale and single coil pickups that will hum, the Gibson has a 24 3/4" scale so there will be string tension differences and it usually comes with humbuckers that don't hum. A Fender also tends to be more in tune at the G string because of the scale than a Gibson. It's very complicated so I won't go into it here. The options you have for upgrading both are almost limitless.

I say go for either, you won't go wrong at those prices.

The four most dangerous words in the US government: "and for other purposes"

I am an AJ Fernandez ho...
gui_tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #3
AnejoMofo
Club Member

FWIW, everybody needs to have an acoustic guitar on hand. It can be the biggest piece of pawn shop junk on the planet, but nothing beats "screwing around" on an acoustic with some friends. I say go for the $100 Squire, bump up your $69 remainder from the other option to a full $100 and pick up an acoustic as well.

If you're worried about tone and sound-quality, Jim is spot on with his assessment. My humble advice would be to get the guitar that physically fits you better without regard to tone in these, your early stages, of learning.

-Mike, jack of all- master of none
"Always have cigars; the rest you can fix." -Ernesto Padilla
_______
RIP Cubano67

Last edited by AnejoMofo; 12-09-2008 at 07:07 PM. Reason: sp
AnejoMofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
bsslack
Herf Meister

Thanks Jim,

When You referred to The Strat and Tele, You mean Stratocaster and Telecaster, right?

The Prices for those can be Huuuuge!

I'm kicking myself now, because a friend gave me a vintage Bulldog amp years ago. I gave it to another Friend whom played guitar, thinking I would never use it. I've never played, but love the warm rich sound that You get with an old tube amp.

Any hints on learning programs? Chord sheets or books or Videos?
If I hear another dork tell me Guitar Hero, I'm gonna smack sumbody.

Tuning? How do I know it's right?

Thanks,

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Last edited by bsslack; 12-09-2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:32 PM   #5
AnejoMofo
Club Member

Great little tuner
"Always have cigars; the rest you can fix." -Ernesto Padilla
_______
RIP Cubano67
AnejoMofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #6
bsslack
Herf Meister

Thanks Mike,

That looks great and priced right too.

Wait a minute there Hoss, Buy TWO Guitars?

Prolly spend the difference getting a small amp, the tuner and some kind of Chord book.

Are there any online tutorial sites?

Thanks for the info!

Cheers!

slack

Old 12-09-2008, 08:29 PM   #7
debaire
Herf Meister

Ah, the Fender vs. Gibson debate rages on. I started off with a Squier. I now have an American. At Costco, I saw a package just now with a Fender guitar, tiny practice amp, cable and stand. I think it was $100.

Fine, twist my arm, I'll smoke a cigar.
RIP cubano67, knife
Full Flavor Federation (FFF) - Charter Member
debaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #8
bsslack
Herf Meister

Cool,

What colors did they have?
That's more equipment for the money.

When you say a tiny practice amp, do you remember if it was a super tiny amp that plugs directly into the guitar or a small 10 watt job that was completely separate?

I mean, if I could get a small amp and the Fender unit for the same price that would be Cool!

I looked at the Costco site and they did have a couple of Fenders but they were $170 bucks. There were a few "Silvertone" brand packages that were in that range.
If that was what You saw I guess I would pass. I've heard that there is a substantial fall off in quality with the "generic Brands" and for a few extra bucks I would prefer the real thing.

I may drop by there and see what's what.

Thanks for the tip,

slack

Last edited by bsslack; 12-09-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:02 AM   #9
gui_tarzan
Herf God

I wish you lived here, I'd take a day off and go to the near-by Guitar Center with you. The most important part of the decision must be what fits you and your hands. There are many different neck profiles, body sizes, weights and tones. This holds true for acoustics too. I wouldn't go so far as to say you have to have one but like many guitar players, I have one too. Mine is an acoustic/electric semi-thin hollow body which doesn't sound real great unplugged but it's ok. It's an Oscar-Schmidt (by Washburn) OG-10 which plays pretty good and sounds decent plugged in for the money. My Epiphone LP Jr. was a scratch & dent that I got new for $75. It's like the picture except it has the tobacco (appropriate, don't you think?) sunburst finish. My Telecaster is a Made-In-Japan model with a Foto-Flame red/orange burst finish. The MIJ is a very high quality axe that seems to be skyrocketing in value because they were made so well.

You gave away a Bulldog????

There are inexpensive amps you can get that sound good too. For a started amp I would suggest a modeling amp like my Vox VT30 or a Peavey Vypyr 30 1x12 or Line 6 Spider III 30 1x12, both of which can be had for around $200. Why? Because they have 12" (10" for the Vox) speakers and will sound TONS better than the small, cheap amps with an 8" speaker. I got mine used for $175.

Effects are another thing. My tuner is a Boss TU-2, one of the best foot pedal tuners out there and it's invaluable to me. I try not to use too many pedals but it's like a drug, you get hooked on them. I normally only use a compressor on my bass but I have several for my guitar. Depending on the type of music and the songs I've got an overdrive, a Tube Screamer, a CryBaby Classic Wah, a Boss AC-3 Acoustic Simulator, Boss CE-5 Chorus and a handful of others that I use very sparingly.

Just remember, for the price of a few boxes of cigars you can get a good entry level guitar and amp if you look around. There's nothing like a good guitar shop to help but if you can get to a Guitar Center it's even better. The prices are unbeatable and the guys there are usually top-notch musicians that love to help.

The four most dangerous words in the US government: "and for other purposes"

I am an AJ Fernandez ho...

Last edited by gui_tarzan; 12-10-2008 at 05:10 AM.
gui_tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:59 AM   #10
samiam2
Club Member

Either guitar will work for beginner...get lessons..I have banged on guitars for years and still not very good. My son has taken lessons since last xmas and can play circles aroound me. I know chords and keys and and..he plays, and is good at it. His teacher said that just playing will keep him interested. He can learn the hard stuff later..must work..kid's good..