Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:32 AM   #1
cryinlicks
Starting Member

Is there anything to gain...

from keeping a sealed box (in cello) inside a humidor as opposed to storing them the traditional way? I could see if you were doing long term aging and didn't want marrying, but are there any other advantages?
cryinlicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:45 AM   #2
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Re: Is there anything to gain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryinlicks
from keeping a sealed box (in cello) inside a humidor as opposed to storing them the traditional way? I could see if you were doing long term aging and didn't want marrying, but are there any other advantages?
What do you mean by "as opposed to storing them the traditional way?" Regardless of whether the cigars are sealed in the box, they need to be in a humi. There's no real benefit to not opening the box. I like to open the box just to check the contents. If there is mold, I want to know before I put them in my cabinet, not a year from now. As for marrying, most would agree that that is a myth.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:11 AM   #3
cryinlicks
Starting Member

By traditionally, I meant stored loose. I also feel that they age better when they have a little room to "breath".
Old 12-22-2006, 05:18 AM   #4
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Aside from long term aging? No. Your cigars will be ready to smoke sooner if you take them out of the box.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:45 AM   #5
cryinlicks
Starting Member

One thing I forgot to mention is these smokes have cello on each cigar, and I'm not really crazy about the idea of aging with cello on. I believe chemicals get released by the cello.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:46 AM   #6
KatDad
Herf God

Re: Is there anything to gain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G
What do you mean by "as opposed to storing them the traditional way?" Regardless of whether the cigars are sealed in the box, they need to be in a humi. There's no real benefit to not opening the box. I like to open the box just to check the contents. If there is mold, I want to know before I put them in my cabinet, not a year from now. As for marrying, most would agree that that is a myth.
Yep!

For me it's also an issue of capacity. My humidors hold more cigars when they are out of the boxes.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:04 AM   #7
Harleyrider
Club Member

I recently got an e-mail from an e-tailer recommending storing IN cellophane for long-term aging. I think the theory is that the cello protects the cigars from damage as they are moved around in the humidor while being stored. FWIW.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:17 AM   #8
KatDad
Herf God

Agree. I take cigars out of their boxes and if they came in cello they stay in cello.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:02 AM   #9
YelloCello

Cellphane is a relatively natural product...basically reconstituted viscose that is washed and bleached. Only thing that I can think that would off-gas is carbon disulfide, and that is present in such minute amounts that I don't think it could possibly be an issue. Of course, that presumes that the cello used to wrap cigars is indeed real cellophane.

I store my stick in their boxes. I consider it be be yet another line of defense against variations in temperature, RH, and physical abuse. Spanish cedar does an excellent job of buffering humidity so I'm all for more if it around my sticks.

Lastly it would be logistically impossible to take all of my stock out of the boxes; I would drown in a sea of loose sticks and never be able to find anything.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:08 AM   #10
cryinlicks
Starting Member

Thanks for the info on the cello. I ended up taking them out of their boxes/cello, but ook pics as I opened them to remeber them in their natural habitat. HAd to pick up another dor to keep up.