Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Poll: What is the worst all time pop song?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
What is the worst all time pop song?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-16-2003, 05:33 AM   #1
moob
Herf Meister

Vote for the worst pop song of the last half century...

The judges struggled with the list of nominees for a long, long time... maybe as long as 5 minutes or so. One judge was frieghtened at the thought of getting Muscrat Love stuck in his head for an entire day and insisted on wearing headphones while listening to Bird Calls of North America Volume 2 Woodland Birds. I think He'll make it.

A set of criteria was established in choosing the ballot. First, a nominee must not only be bad but be bad in an enduring manner. Consequently some of the more promising but recent nominees did not make the cut (Britney, Christina and the Hansens however can reapply in the year 2023).

Second.... does the song contain references to sex. A very important consideration. This criteria was easily met by the Archie's hit Sugar, Sugar. All the judges had a soft spot for a non-existent band, invented soley for TV, that were flat two dimensional characters singing a lusty tune about their immediate cousin (besides I had a thing for Veronica and Betty). And of course, getting it on in the afternoon is always a good idea...

Third... emotion... did the song appeal to the listeners emotions... did your mom maybe think the song was really good and cranked up the radio in the station wagon to make sure we all got an earful of this pleasant tune on the way back from mass...or maybe even Grandma liked it... was it on the syrup side of life? Did it express something that could not be said with a straight face but had to be sung to be beleived... Surely Having my Baby, Feelings, You Light up my life all meet this important criteria.

LAstly... did the song have a ridiculous epic style to it? Did the song some how have a finale that made the end of the world seem pale in comparison and the singer a minor god in the pantheon of pop music as B.M.'s Mandy? MacArthur Park almost made it on this criteria... the cake. the rain, the finality of the voice at the end bellowing out "oh no...." but it just wasn't bad enough.

Oh... I almost forgot... stupid songs also made the cut...like Muscrat Love.

The judges were a bit dissapointed that Neil Sedak did not make the list as well as a song called Seasons in the Sun (we had joy, we had fun we had seasons in the Sun) but we recognize that there has been a tremendous amount of bad music forced down the eardrums of regular joes and janes by record executives that really could give a crap and that there are simply too many to pick... have fun voting...If this were only the good old days were I could let you vote several times I would but I can't so be very selective of this important choice.

BTW... as a great act of kindness and a tribute to their musical savoir faire the handles of the original submitors has been included.
moob is offline   Reply With Quote