Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2002, 10:13 PM   #1
Bob Staebell

LOL. I just read a post & got a chuckle seeing that an old friend the "Western Caliber" is about to reappear. These were one of the first digitals to gain wide acceptance ( along with Radio Shack's, etc) on the cigar boards 4 years ago, before most of us really began to understood the nuances of hygrometer construction, testing & accuracy.

I would bet that HMS & Cigarnv & many others have a few of these Westerns laying about unused in a drawer somewhere....

I have lost count of how many of these little gems I salt tested & later tested with a truly "certified" hygrometer. I understand now why I sometimes got variations far in excess of the stated accuracy of 3%. It was not uncommon to get lot #'s of Westerns' that would vary 3-10%.

If one looks at the spec's, the temp accuracy is 1.8 degrees. In the 60+% range a change in temp of 2 degrees can alter the RH interpolation by 3-4% & when combined with the variation in the RH sensor of 3% one can end up with a heck of an error & no consistency in performance.

A couple of years ago, the pen hygrometers made their appearance. The spec's are not all that much different. Same type of circuitry-resistive. The largest difference seems to be the consistency in performance, which I suspect is due to the fact that they are each tested (in groups) in a true calibration chamber rather than "spot" testing of "lots" & those with high deviations are perhaps sold to other less demanding venues.

The real world test was rather more direct. I at times had a high % of Westerns rejected for lack of accuracy or consistency between units. It's rare to have a reject of a pen hygrometer.

Still, the Western is an OK device. I would put it in the same category as any of the $20 china imports. Once you are familiar with each units quirks, use it as a benchmark like any other hygrometer. But for those looking for a measure of accuracy & consistency between units IMHO it may not be the best choice.

RE the 1% CaliberII. The chinese are good, but I am not sure they can change physics & the cost of a capacitive sensor & circuit.

The going rate for a real certified 1.5-2% hygrometer is $175 & up. The cost of a 1% device starts at $1000 from most reputable instrument manufacturers. I respect Fred Garwicks'(western) abilities, but am not sure how he is going to eliminate $975. If he can I would be the first to buy a dozen.

I hope that this long post will be taken in the positive vein in which it is offered--my experience & observation on a particular group of devices with which I have used as a consumer as well as offered in my business.

cheers,

Bob Staebell
Bob Staebell is offline   Reply With Quote