Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 09-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

milanesa steak

Okay, the wally world here is always throwing thin sliced top round on clearance every wednesday or so. I grab a pack, marinate it, and do jerky. last week I doused it in some lime, soy sauce, chipotle tabasco, and a bit of brown sugar. makes great jerky after 2 hours in a 220 degree oven.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #2
Jester
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Nothing wrong with that treatment. Frankly, that is about the best way you can treat that cut especially if the retailer is gonna thin-cut it for you anyway.

Best,
J.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:11 AM   #3
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Our Kroger is constantly reducing flanken cut chuck ribs on clearance (I keep telling them that if they can get these whole, I can deliver them enough BBQ'er bidness they won't have to reduce them to sell), so I keep making Korean BBQ out of them. Got a batch marinating for tonight's dinner. My son adores them.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:07 AM   #4
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

So walmart is importing chinese beef?

Back in VA if could get to the local grosto on Sunday afternoons the shortribs were always on sale. Various cuts of them, always on sale. Then they quit carrying them for a few months. Then they changed brand (same parent - Food Lion - switched from the upscale line to Food Lion).

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:18 AM   #5
alfa

um, around here, milanesa is pork, but it does indeed make a great stir fry

from my Korean ex-girlfriend, the key to making stir-fry meat tender is simply steaming it in the wok long enough - bite-test it before you stir in the noodles.

but the jerky sounds great

Last edited by alfa; 09-09-2012 at 05:32 AM.
alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Jason, there's a question I've had for a long time. every store here sells beef short ribs cut about 1/4 inch thick, darn near bacon thin. like these.

let's get serious. they are fatty, usually meatless, and basically bone, marrow, and suet. What do people see in them, and why are people willing to buy them at the price usually reserved for good steaks?

The only reasonable use that I could ever think of for something like that would be to brown the hell out of them in the oven in a jelly roll pan, and then make stock out of them. The biggest problem I have with it is that like I said, the ones I always see have a only a few ounces of meat in the entire package. You could starve to death unless you ate them fat and all.

the picture is there only for demonstration purpose. the ones available here don't have that skirt of meat. It's probably already cut off and sold separately.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote