Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-15-2007, 06:39 AM   #1
trex1210
Starting Member

Humidor problems

I recently started smoking cigars again, so I am trying to get my humidor up and running again. For the past year and a half I've only had three or four cigars in it. When I would check on it I would occasionally wet my beads (two tubes), but the RH never got to where it needed to be.

The beads that I have are turning yellow, so I assumed that they were bad. I bought some more sticks yesterday at the local B&M, so I went ahead and bought a Drymistat tube. I took everything out of the humidor and wiped down the inside with a damp towel (used distilled water), and placed the Drymistat tube in there.

Almost immediately the RH jumped up to around 60-61%; however, it has gradually declined to where it sits this morning at 48%. I am using the hygrometer that came with the humidor, so I am thinking I will buy a digital today. Also, the drymistat says to use tap water, but I used distilled water to fill it.......could that make a difference?? When I had it up and running the previous time, it would hold the RH relatively well. Do humidors wear out? Or do they go bad?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Trey