Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2020, 04:29 PM   #1
jeepdad
Club Member

New Riff Single Barrel Bourbon

I was in an airport in Kentucky over the weekend. There was one of those small open air places tucked away in a corner called "Cork and Barrel". It had maybe 2-300 bourbons to choose from. In non-covid times you can buy shots and try various bottles of hootch. During covid you can buy a shot that's poured in a little plastic container to take with you. With the instructions that you may not drink it in the airport.

The guy behind the counter was bored and not very motivated or helpful. When I asked questions of bottles I'd never heard of he provided minimal responses. Until I asked if the Blantons was for sell. I was told "no, it's only sold by the shot". Then the heretofore docile slug went on a tirade that Blantons produces enough product to fill every liquor store in America. But their business model is such that they limit the bottles making it scarce and in high demand. So they then send the bottles overseas for more money. Then he went back to being his unhelpful docile self.

I picked up a bottle of New Riff out of Newport Kentucky. I had no knowledge of it other than it had a picture of Jimmy Hendrix on the bottle playing his guitar. It is 105.1 proof and aged at least 4 years. It was under $50 so I grabbed it.

Fast forward the next night around the firepit enjoying a cigar sitting with my Bride. I poured us a couple fingers each with an oversized ice cube. She took one sip and said it's too hot and gave me her glass. I took a sip and the initial taste is pure bourbon goodness but then the finish just falls flat. It's drinkable but I will not be buying a second bottle.

Last edited by jeepdad; 09-16-2020 at 04:31 PM.
jeepdad is offline   Reply With Quote