Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2017, 11:53 AM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

A simple and delicious recipe for cod fillet

1. Place slices of white onion in the bottom of a casserole.
2. Brush the fillets of fresh cod all over with good quality extra virgin olive oil.
3. Place the fillets on top of the onion slices.
4. Garnish with coarsely ground sea salt and pepper plus dried cilantro and a good amount of lemon zest.
5. Cover and bake in an oven preheated to 450ºF for approximately 20 minutes (assuming the fillets are approximately 1½ inches in thickness).
6. Serve with the onions on the side.

I added the juice of the lemon to the water needed to cook a batch of basmati rice (as a side dish), which was also seasoned with a pinch of tumeric, salt and dried cayenne. The other side dish I prepared consisted of zucchini pieces halved lengthwise and quarters of red pepper brushed with olive oil, seasoned with coarsely ground sea salt and pepper (plus dried thyme sprinkled over the zucchini), and roasted in an open pan. I placed the zucchini and pepper in the same oven as the cod for 15 minutes (5 minutes after the fish).

My accompanying wine was an off-dry Niagara Riesling from the Thirty Bench Winery. A decent Savennières, Chablis or Alsatian Pinot Gris would also suffice for those preferring a drier white.