Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-21-2003, 11:29 AM   #17
Stonewall
Club Member

Well, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I really like DLR.
True that Dave isn't the frontman he used to be. But, still an awesome performer.

I read his biography a few years ago. It's actually very good and very funny in places. One of my favorite parts is:

Quote:
One of our truck drivers knew somebody who was in construction workin' highways, so we got a bucket of super high-density acrylic adhesive like they use to attach reflectors to highways. What you would do is call somebody down for an important meeting and then 4 -6 guys would go into his room. You'd take everything and glue it upside down to the ceiling, reverse the room. The victim would come in and find everything but the mattress glued upside down, in exact reverse of where he'd left it.

Guests would come in to visit and they would fly in to a little city, you know, Delray Beach, Florida and it was like they were helicopted to the front.
We'd send out a car, somebody to pick them up at the airport, they'd show up at the hotel and it was bedlam, noise, constant forment.
"Glad to have you aboard, sir - Get Down! We're about to be caked [throwing cake at each other]. Here, wear this, it's waterproof. I know, it looks just like a shower curtain, doesn't it?"
"Jesus, how long has this been going on?"
"I don't know, when did we leave, March? Glad you could make it. We're gonna have a great weekend. If you don't mind, I'd like to send in a team to your room to sweep for fish - I'll explain that later. Whatever you do don't leave your room."

They'd check into the room and go "What's this?"
"This is a fire extinguisher"
"How come it's in my room?"
"If the time comes that you need it, you'll know."

Things would disintegrate frequenty, and people would resort to human wave approaches. The entire transport team, all of the truck drivers, would burst into the room and destroy everything - a human wave attack. I spent more than one night falling asleep in a puddle of beer on an empty mattress in the middle of total wreckage, with the front door to the room leaning against the wall about 18" to the side of the door frame. I woke up like that somewhere in Worchester, Mass. Manager had flown in, and I woke up as he was trying to jockey the door a little more to the side so he could squeeze through to shake my hand, asking how the tour was going.

I told him I felt that we were winning.

Loved VH when he was with them. Best show I ever saw (out of about 300 concerts) was VH's 1984 tour.