Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2003, 11:25 PM   #1
Ubiquito

Potential beetle questions...

Ok...due to rising temps here in Portland, all of my cigars (isoms) have been in 75-80+ degree weather for the last few days. I have decided to just monitor things closely and see if any uglies rear their heads before going through the freezing process. Here are my questions:

1) All of my stock is at least 6 months old. Is it true, then, that I should have no viable beetle eggs left in my cigars to hatch? (I've read some opinions that they should all be defunct by now).

2) If the theories of egg lifespan being a mere 3-6 months are not based on fact, how long would I have to wait at this temperature to either see some munchy action or be able to breathe a sigh of relief that I am forever in the clear with my present inventory in higher temps??? (I will definitely freeze all incoming boxes)

If it is true that eggs are only viable for a few months and then are "dead", then anyone who buys only cigars from, say, late 2002 and earlier should never have to worry about any beetle problems irregardless of the temperature?? This just doesn't sound right for some reason!
Ubiquito is offline   Reply With Quote