Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
AnejoMofo
Club Member

Liga Privada Halloween Release Event

Last night The Twin Shoppe (10th and Tasker in Philly) hosted a release party for the Liga Privada No. 9. The Twin Shoppe has to be one of the all-time great cigar shops. The owner and staff are extremely hospitable and provide a great place to smoke with a great selection. With the release event scheduled to begin at 6pm; my friend and I arrived at 4 to start the night off with a CAO America (great smoke!).

As we relaxed in the lounge we were surprised to see none other than Marvin Samel poke his head in the door and introduce himself. Noticing we were puffing away on CAO Americas he remarked, "If you like that, you'll love this!", drawing attention to the No. 9 in his hand. He went on to describe, in detail, the process by which the wrapper for the No. 9 is painstakingly cured. We were struck with the impression that here is a man who truly cares about the quality of his product. Marvin really seemed to have poured himself into the project that was the Liga Privada No. 9. Impressive.

Let it be no secret that I have not been a fan of Drew Estate cigars. As a self-appointed snob-extraordinaire I simply do not understand the appeal of "infused" or "flavored" cigars. Moreover, I was not wholly impressed with Chateau Real. Not a bad smoke, but certainly nothing special (in my humble opinion). That being said, after reading some of the rave reviews for the No. 9 and observing the general level of anticipation at its release; I was very excited to check it out.

As the evening wore on, Marvin addressed the crowd and described the concept and execution of the No. 9. I was anxious to give it a try but had decided to wait until the following day when I would have the opportunity to smoke in the peace and quiet the analysis of a new cigar demands. The Twin Shoppe ran a "buy 3 get one free" special of which I was happy to avail myself. With the festivities raging, we departed in deference to previously ordained obligations. It was a pleasure to meet Marvin Samel and hear him speak with such enthusiasm about his cigar; and it's always a pleasure to stop by the Twin Shoppe for a relaxing smoke.

This evening, after a long tortuous day at work, I was able to retire to my smoking sanctuary-fortress of solitude and put the No. 9 through its paces. I'm not going to wade into the treacherous waters of a detailed review; certainly not with the likes of Jazznut already having given it a better effort than I am capable of attempting. However, I will say briefly, that I was extremely impressed with the quality of this fine cigar. From beginning to the not-so-bitter end the No. 9 impressed me with its quality and complexity. I'm very happy to have been able to bring a few of these home as I'm sure any shop that carries them will soon run out. They certainly were flying out of the Twin Shoppe last night. I have no idea how many boxes they had, but I saw two boxes sold in their entirety while the visible remainder were being ruthlessly devoured piece-meal. Definitely get your hands on this cigar and be sure to stop by the Twin Shoppe if you're ever in Philly.

-AM
"Always have cigars; the rest you can fix." -Ernesto Padilla
_______
RIP Cubano67
AnejoMofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:52 AM   #2
jcarlton
Club Member

Nice review, thanks

JC
jcarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:27 AM   #3
xavier
Club Member

Can not find them. One store said they had it and when I tried to buy a box, thye said they do nto have it anymore.

I can not seem to locate a store who has them.

I love rumors! Facts can be so misleading, where rumors, true or false, are often revealing...Col Hans Landa
xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:46 AM   #4
AnejoMofo
Club Member

Didn't Steve Saka mention in another thread that he would post the list of accounts they were opening? I believe he said it was limited to 50.
_______
RIP Cubano67
Old 11-02-2007, 11:05 AM   #5
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

According to a discussion he had with us at the RTDA show, he only has 40,000 of those to sell. That's not many cigars in the grand scheme of things.

Anejo, post a review of the Smoke Shop on the Where To Smoke Database if it's not already there.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:28 AM   #6
AnejoMofo
Club Member

Will do.
_______
RIP Cubano67