Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2005, 04:59 AM   #4
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo97
The La Pavoni and MCI Doserless Espresso Grinder by Nuova Simonelli are both in the top of your price range. Chris Coffee Service can give you a better price on the Rocky than what is advertised. I have a Solis and can tell you it will grind for Turkish but how long is in question. I think a true espresso grinder is in order since you will need a finer grind for Turkish and if you are spending this kind of cash will want it to last a long time.
Excellent advice here.

As a Solis Maestro Plus owner, I would NOT recommend this grinder, for espresso or anything else. It provides a nice, uniform grind and I really like the on/off button on the front, but the overall unit has a fatal design flaw: some combination of factors related to the size/shape of the opening at the bottom of the bean hopper and the top of the burrs add up such that large beans will not feed into the burrs. In fact, after using mine for a full year, I can state with confidence that the ONLY beans that this unit grinds efficiently are tiny ones like Yemen Mokhas. All others either grind very slowly, or require manual intervention to grind at all.

I talked to Russ at CBC about this. Fortuitously, he had a Baratza rep with him when I called. They're aware of the issue, but have no idea what causes it as the design is apparently identical to the original Maestro, which doesn't have the problem.

Short story long - go with subadoo's recommendation.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote