Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2006, 05:01 PM   #1
Ringbill

My first (true) cabinet project...

Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd tell you about the latest project I took on. You may remember recently when I turned a book case from Overstock.com into a humidor; See the thread HERE.

However, as I stated in the thread I wasn't sure how well it would work and also knew it wasn't a long-term solution. It's done pretty well, but I suspect the humidity isn't as even as I'd like (probably solved with some fans), the wife wanted a book case (which it was and can be again), and I've never done any woodworking and wanted to do so.

With that in mind, I wanted to build a real cabinet humidor. I looked around and thought the best one to start with would be something akin to the Avallo 2000. So, that's what I did.

Here's the pictures: Cabinet Pictures in my CW Gallery.

Here's the short of it: All biscuit joinery. Made of Red Oak veneered MDF that I edge banded. Top and door are solid oak. Inside the top I placed various cigar stuff and poured epoxy in the void...I think it looks kinda cool. The shelves and drawer are Spanish Cedar (which was hard to find I might add, thanks to Master Gates for some of it). I've got silica kitty litter in it right now to get the humidity up. Not sure what I will do in the future, might buy the Avallo system.

Anyway, fire away. I am pleased for a first woodworking project and few tools, but if you look there's plenty o' mistakes. Next one will be better!

Josh