Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
tchapchap
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Planning to make a 'Frigidore'

I have an old compact refrigerator that I’d like to turn into a ‘frigidore’ and have a couple of questions for you guys. I don’t plan on lining it with cedar as I’ll be storing primarily boxes. This should give me all the humidity buffer I need.
  • It has the usual plastic coated steel racks inside with aluminum trim along the front edge. Any issues with these metals inside a humi?
  • I’ve gutted the inside of cooling coils, wiring and such. This has left a few holes to plug. I was thinking about using white vinyl tape or aluminum duct tape to cover them up. Any better suggestions?
  • After I get it all cleaned up is a baking soda solution wipe down followed by clear water rinse a good plan?
I’d appreciate any thoughts!

(___|CW|_______))))~~~~

(unauthorized use of signature prohibited )
tchapchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
audio1der
Club Member

That all sounds good, with plugging the holes, metals inside and washing it out. Adding cedar separator sheets/other cedar will help with aroma as well. Keep it simple and don't woryy about fans or lights. A trustworthy wireless hygrometer is all I would add.
spend the $ on sticks, not storage.
Cuban cigar snob #1.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

The metals are fine. You're going to be dealing with two major problems:

1. Maintaining a temperature that's not too cold. You can't do that with the fridge controls, so you'll need to add an external temperature controller. Something along the lines of THIS will work well.

2. Maintaining an even humidity. This is the deal-killer most of the time. When the compressor kicks in and the coils under the plate at the back of the unit get cold, the moisture in the air will condense onto the coils. I've watched a digital hygrometer when that happened: the RH dropped from 68% to <30% in the space of a couple of minutes. When the compressor cycles off, the condensed water gradually goes back to vapor form and the RH slowly rises.

There are different strategies for dealing with this, perhaps the most effective being simply leaving the cigars in their boxes. The wood will mute/buffer the RH swings.

I eventually abandoned my winecoolerdor in favor of building a closet, cooled with a wine room cooler, and storing my cigars in the closet in 48qt coolers humidified with beads. I get stable temps and RH that way...and a metric pantload of storage space.

Of course, that all somehow got filled up, but that's different issue.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
tchapchap
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Thanks for the feedback gents, I appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio1der View Post
....spend the $ on sticks, not storage.
I'm with you 100% on that, Kevin! Good suggestion on the wireless hygrometer also. I was already thinking of going that route.

Doug, I've removed the compressor, refrigerant lines, lights, controls and all wiring so it's essentially become a vertical cooler with 2 doors and shelves. My primary concern is having metals (aluminum and plastic coated steel) in a trapped environment with my cigars at 65% RH. I want to pay attention to the material I use to plug holes for the same reason. Is vinyl tape OK? RTV silicone caulk?

I just want to make sure I don’t introduce airborne problems. I’m a devout believer in beads (65% from Heartfelt) and my storage is in the basement where it stays 68-72 F year round.

Thanks again gents!

(___|CW|_______))))~~~~

Last edited by tchapchap; 11-23-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Try the silicone sealer they use for aquariums. Once fully cured, it should be fine.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
tchapchap
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg View Post
Try the silicone sealer they use for aquariums. Once fully cured, it should be fine.
Good call Doug, thanks. I was considering food grade sealer and hadn't thought about this option. It's probably easier to find too.

edit: I'll bet it's even the same shit!

(___|CW|_______))))~~~~

Last edited by tchapchap; 11-23-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
audio1der
Club Member

Great idea, but YOU WORRY TOO MUCH!!! haha
Seriously, I think a large cross-section of us REALLY overthink this hobby With the little amount of tape you'll need to close a couople of holes, what is the worst thing that could happen, really? I'm a better safe than sorry person to a point. Just sayin'.
I used to spend hours a week looking at, watching temps/RH, checking and re-checking things. Towards the end even with ,ultiple coolers and bar fridges (not plugged in) I did NOTHING and there was no difference in how any of the cigars smoked. Enjoy them, don't lrt them own you!
Cuban cigar snob #1.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
KatDad
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio1der View Post
Great idea, but YOU WORRY TOO MUCH!!! haha
Seriously, I think a large cross-section of us REALLY overthink this hobby With the little amount of tape you'll need to close a couople of holes, what is the worst thing that could happen, really? I'm a better safe than sorry person to a point. Just sayin'.
I used to spend hours a week looking at, watching temps/RH, checking and re-checking things. Towards the end even with ,ultiple coolers and bar fridges (not plugged in) I did NOTHING and there was no difference in how any of the cigars smoked. Enjoy them, don't lrt them own you!
Spot on! Very well said.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
tchapchap
Contributing Editor
Club Member

BAM!

Yeah....I know

(___|CW|_______))))~~~~

Old 12-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #10
Smokestack Jack
Herf God

I've had a fridgedor for about 8 years now. Only problems I've encountered were the humidity levels when the outside temperatures change. Like MadDawg, I purchased a Johnson Control unit from Williams Brewing. It hasn't failed me yet. I took out the removeable racks and just keep boxes in it. For humidity, I use clear silica beads I buy at the pet shop. I have 2 permanent wire racks in it and put 2 travel soap dish containers filled with the beads on each rack.