Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2006, 04:53 AM   #1
Smokin_VI
Herf Meister

Nat Sherman Suave

OK, those of you who know me, know 98% of DR smokes are bitter to me and I don't smoke 'em (exeptions: LGC (not your typical DR), Fuente Opus, Monte Cabs). JR has a new Nat Sherman Suave. I was volunteered to "take one for the team" by some buddies. So far, that position has let to smoking a Santa Clara (ok, not as muddy as most Mexican cigars) and Cohiba Black (put it down and back away--no flavor whatsoever other than the broadleaf wrapper). It was with great trepidation I slid the "Dewitt Clinton" robusto sized cigar out of its cello.

Very nice looking wrapper, great roll. Typical CT shade color. Clipped the head and gave it a draw. Nice roll, some natural tobacco sweetness. OK, time to fire this puppy up.

First few puffs were mild, smooth, downright creamy. Good smoke volume and density. What's this, a mild cigar with full bodied smoke? Hmmmmm, let's continue.
Burn was just a bit uneven (note: have since smoked another with no burn problems) but the wrapper was obviously well aged as it had a very clean, very dark burn line.

Hints of toast and wood but not one bit of bitterness. Zero. Bupkis. I'm likeing this! Bitterness just has to show up, it's a DR smoke.... hm, what's this---a little hint of pepper and spice creaping in. I'm liking this more and more.

Well, to make a long story sort, nubbed it. NEVER picked up any DR bitterness at all and I'm damn good at tagging 'em. The price they're asking for them is going to put them in my rotation. Box is solid and closes well enough to use as a travel or overflow humidor. I just hope they don't start monkeying with the blend as production goes on as so many other do.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.--Winston Churchill
Smokin_VI is offline   Reply With Quote