Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2002, 07:27 PM   #1
LIGHTNINROD
Club Member

I've been trying to lower the RH in my Haier wine cooler. Yes, it's full--more and more, of Cuban cigars, so it's not 'that'. I don't have any humidifier in it. I keep the temp at around 63-64F.

I want to see a RH of between 62-65% The RH keeps going up to 67-70%. Yes, I open the door several times each day and the RH in this room right now is at 48%. I've even left the door open for a while.

Last night, I bought a pack of 'DampRid' because I had seen it mentioned here. It came in a plastic(?)/paper 'bag' with a hook pressed into the top so you can hang it in the closet on the clothes pole. There were other packages of Damprid--in plastic tubs, etc. The one I got has a sweeeet odor--like the pieces of 'Bounce' my wife puts in the clothes dryer.

I hung it in the cooler and boy, did it start to suck the RH down but then I got to worrying about that odor. I removed it after about 2 hours. I didn't notice any odor when I smoked several of my Cuban cigars today. The before smell and the smoking were as before. I'm still leary of using it though.

Is there a non-smelling, odor-free DampRid or a different brand?

Dan

"Let them hate us so long as they fear us."

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
LIGHTNINROD is offline   Reply With Quote