Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-20-2004, 09:21 PM   #1
morenoloco
Banned

Opus X Petite Lancero review

Admittedly, I am not good at reviewing cigars in terms of it's hidden depths of flavors, nuances, and balances. But here is my take on the Opus X Petite Lancero that I smoked this evening.

Opus X has been disappointing to me in the past due to harsh flavors and construction issues... Tonights Petite Lancero was one that I had purchased in late 2003/early 2004... Price paid $11.00 USD.

The cigar started out harsh, but mellowed out after the first inch. Throughout the evening, the burn was completely even and the ash was of a beautiful light grey appearance all around. The construction on this cigar appeared to be superior.

I particularly enjoyed the thick and voluminous amounts of smoke it produced. From time to time, I will inhale one or two puffs and exhale through my nose to try to get a good handle on the flavor profile. The flavors were strong, bold, with a tiny bit of a citrus sweetness to it. It was a very good cigar; one that I'll smoke on ocassion if I want a bit of variety.

My biggest problem with this cigar is that I had to relight the cigar at least six times. If you puff on it too much, it obviously burns hot and the flavors are a bit more harsh. If you puff on it less often, you get a cooler and more refined taste.... but the cigar needs constant relighting. These cigars were stored at a cooler temperature and lower humidity.

I've never had this problem with the Hemingway line, or the Ashton VSG ER's; both of which I enjoy a lot.

All in all, I would give this cigar a 7/10 rating. It should not be compared with cigars from other countries as it has it's own distinct flavor profile.
morenoloco is offline   Reply With Quote