Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 06-26-2019, 07:50 AM   #1
DeadmanLiving
Club Member

Komado style grill

Anyone have one and what are the experiences versus other types of grills?

Check out my new Blog
DeadmanLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:27 PM   #2
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

those that have them tend to love them, but I doubt my 2nd floor porch could handle the weight.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:45 PM   #3
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

My neighbor next door bought one. He's only used it once that I know of. On a bbq forum, there were problems with the Kamodo brand. I haven't heard anyone complain about their Big Green Egg, except for the $800 price tag.

I've never cooked on one or the pellet pooper smokers (Lang).

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:03 PM   #4
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

I love my BGE

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:02 PM   #5
jgbutler
Herf Meister

I loved my BGE until an 85 mph wind took it out.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:24 PM   #6
DeadmanLiving
Club Member

Well for fathers day my kids got me a Char-grill Akorn. It is not ceramic but still shaped like a kamodo and is supposed to be insulated like the ceramic ones. Figured that it is a good starter for this type of grill.

Check out my new Blog
DeadmanLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:27 PM   #7
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

I only know the Egg, but it does sone amazing stuff. Best of luck on the journey! 👍🏼

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:20 AM   #8
DCarp
Contributing Editor
Club Member

I'm on the BGE bandwagon too - and love it. Smoked a tasty lil brisket last week. The egg-style grills are pretty versatile, can go low and slow, or hot as hell. I like mine for smoking generally, but also have a gas grill for quick grillin'. So unless it's great meat or I have some time, I'm grilling on the gas.
DCarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:58 PM   #9
Guv
Internationally Soccer Challenged
Herf God

I have the Char-Griller Akorn also and love it. I got rid of my Weber Bullet and rarely if ever use my Weber gas grill now. The only two upgrades I did were to purchase a Bluetooth Wireless BBQ Grill Thermometer and more importantly a Tip Top Temp. This thing is makes me feel like I'm cheating...just attach it with a plate hanger and then set it and forget it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadmanLiving View Post
Well for fathers day my kids got me a Char-grill Akorn. It is not ceramic but still shaped like a kamodo and is supposed to be insulated like the ceramic ones. Figured that it is a good starter for this type of grill.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:57 PM   #10
N8DCJ
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadmanLiving View Post
A friend has one of those, has for a couple of years...

He loves it, he makes some really good stuff, smoking too grilling, and pizza...

You will like it no worries

Dan
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
N8DCJ is offline   Reply With Quote