Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #12
aficionado99
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2000 View Post
Very good thread, thanks to all who participated

I also like Davidoffs very much, well certain sizes/lines. They used to have one called the "Special B", similar size to Opus X Petit Lancero, only a little shorter. One hell of a great smoke, spicy and complex. Discontinued only a few years after it was introduced and haven't seen them in years. My other favorites are the Madison Super Selection #11, which is now $200/box for a tres' petit corona, as much as I like them, I just can't justify the price, even when they were $170/box. I tried all sizes of the Winston Churchills, except the minuto, when they came out and while a good cigar, I was underwhelmed, especially at the price point. Maybe some down time would have been the key, but if I am going to pay that much for a cigar, I want it to be it's best without additional aging.

Recent smoked Davidoffs:
Limited Edition 2004 Especiales "7" the other day, just an incredible smoke and my favorite of the LEs.
Limited Edition 2003 Panatella Extras, a close second to the above
2009 Puro Belicoso, full bodied and complex, one of the best cigars I've ever smoked
Colorado Claro Special R and Special T, the original release of these almost 10 years ago were really great, these current ones are not very good at this time as they seem harsh and tannic, basically not mature at all
Maduro Corona, being my favorite size, I had to lay down the $20 to try one. It did not disappoint, excellent cigar for sure. Would buy more at half the price.

The new Puro d' Oro sound interesting, too pricy, nothing new there.

I really enjoy the Millennium Blend Lonsdales and wish I could afford on a regular basis. Affordability is pretty much the story of the whole brand for me, however I can't help myself from buying and trying the new and special releases when they come out.
I used to like the "special B " to , I bought the last box at the Columbus Circle store in NYC a few years after they were discontinued , I still have one left , Andy it's yours if you want it .
You want to talk overpriced..... On a trip to Vegas in January of 08 I bought at the Davidoff Store @ the Venetian 1 Royal Salomones @ $67.50 a piece , I loved the look of that cigar , I did'nt have time to smoke it but went ahead and bought 3 boxes of 50 at almost $3,000 a box , I gifted 2 of the boxes , and kept one for myself , I still have 20 left and sure hope they'll improve with age because to this day I never really liked any of the ones I smoked ........ On the other hand I do love the "Sydney Frank " that was re-banded for the 20th anniversary of the Madison Avenue store in NYC .

My all time favorite in the Davidoff was the Anniversario series even when I did'nt have access to the american market I'd walk in the late Davidoff Store (closed 2 years ago) in Montreal and ditch $149.50 for an Anniversario #1 , and that's more then 10 years ago . I love any Davidoff that's 5 years or older , those dominicans have that acidic bite when too young which you did'nt find in any Davidoffs when they were made in Cuba ( pre-1991) .

Anybody tried the Zino Blue Cave Aged Platinum ? Those also are tremendous cigars with and obcene price tag ( $105/3 pack) but the presentation is one of the most fabulous one you can find on the market and it's a very nice and strong cigar.