Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
Sam Tushing
Starting Member

Cigar Cases - What do you think of these?

Hey everybody,

I'm poking around at cigar cases and just wondered if anyone had thoughts one way or the other about any of these...you know, materials, brand, construction, etc.

cigar cases or cigar cases

Thanks,

Last edited by Sam Tushing; 11-08-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Sam Tushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Well, there are dozens of cases - of many different types - on each of those two links, so how's about narrowing down your criteria a bit.

Are you looking at classic 2- or 3-finger cases, or do you want something that holds more cigars?

Day trip case or weekend case?

Going on an airplane, or just to the links?

What's your budget?

I'll offer up one endorsement, though: You can't go wrong with a Cigar Caddy. I have 5-, 10- and 24-count Cigar Caddies, and they're very good cases for the money.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

As doug said, that is a rough thing to answer. Any leather case will hold a few cigars properly humidified for a few days under normal conditions. Every leather case will bust a cigar if you bend it, but cedar lined ones are rigid and capable of protecting them from damage. For heavy long travel, get a travel humidor, not a case. if you want a 3-4 finger case, get one meant to fit mostly what you will carry. maybe you even want a larger case, but more decorative than a travel humidor. I don't know that answer.

This is the most awesome case I've ever seen.

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?pa...ItemCode=UP5CC

I have one, and it's magnificent. 5 churchills, or other sizes. Pad the bottom of it if you are going to carry shorter ones.

Whatever you get, it is terribly important that the inside either be lined with smooth leather, or finished out smooth. As for finger cases vs open cases, a fingered case is less versatile for size, but you can through a fingered case out of a 10 story window with 1 cigar in it and then smoke it later, but if you put a loose smoke in an open style case, they can take damage from rattling around, if not celloed.

I store my cases in my cooler, so that they have a bit of moisture in the leather to buffer the smokes while travelling.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
kydsid

Second Cigar Caddy. They are damn near bullet proof, unless bag handlers at LAX get a hold of them, then all bets are off. I now have a metal one that looks like a makeup kit because of those guys.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
Smoker06
Herf God

Definitely Cigar Caddy. I took a 50 ct, a 15 ct and a 4 ct to the big sandbox and they performed admirably.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
Ring Leader

Cigar caddy is the way to go. CI has great deals where you get some descent sticks and lighter bundled with the case for a pretty cheap price.
Ring Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:15 AM   #7
Harleyrider
Club Member

Don't worry about which one to buy. You will probably end up owning just about all of them, so it's just a question of which one to start with... I have a large variety of cases and caddies, and I choose the one that suits my needs of the day on a daily basis.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #8
tchapchap
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyrider View Post
Don't worry about which one to buy. You will probably end up owning just about all of them, so it's just a question of which one to start with... I have a large variety of cases and caddies, and I choose the one that suits my needs of the day on a daily basis.
That sums it up for sure!

I've got about every case known to man. 5, 15, 35 count Otterboxes. 2 & 3 finger pocket cases. bla, bla, bla.

THIS is the one I use the most by far. Won't fit in your pocket but it packs in a duffle real nice and you can see all your beauties laid out before you when you open the lid! When 10 smokes isn't enough I have 3 of 'em.

(___|CW|_______))))~~~~

(unauthorized use of signature prohibited )
tchapchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #9
Castanza
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyrider View Post
Ditto

Sometimes I think I have to many. I had a latch come off of one
of my cigar caddies. I thought it broke off. When I was at the
Cigar convention in NOLA this summer, I spoke to a rep about it.
Turns out they have a lifetime warranty & she said most likely it
was not broke, just poped out. They sent me a couple at no cost.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
Rebgen

Too bad the company that made the Sherman Traveldors went out of business. I have a bright yellow eight count and a black 30 count and I'd be sick if I ever lost them. They've travelled all over the world and my cigars are always well protected.
Rebgen is offline   Reply With Quote