Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2012, 04:01 AM   #1
Diplomatico
Club Member

PAM 1964 #4

As a big fan of the Padron Anniversario Series (1964 and 1926) I was interested in trying the latest offering, the #4. This is a massive cigar (6.5 x 60) and retails for $20/stick. I purchased a fiver to try them out.

Appearance: Dark maduro wrapper that one has come to expect from a PAM. Pretty much veinless and is dry to the touch, almost a powdery feeling. The foot of the cigar shows threads of dark black tobacco interspersed with a medium brown tobacco.

Construction: Solid as a rock. Firm with some 'give', no soft spots. Simple cap (as I've noticed on many Padrons.)

Burn: Razor sharp.

Flavor: I'm used to PAMs having a slightly sweet but spicy and full flavor to them. Not so with theses. I get some wood flavor and....that's it. Tobacco and at times a hint of perhaps menthol. Otherwise, really not much going on here.

I've smoked two of these now and the results were the same. I think this may be a case where the additional binder and filler simply overpower that normally delicious PAM wrapper, completely muting its flavor. (FWIW, I was similarly unimpressed with the Smoke Inn SI-15 that was a PAM 6 x 60.) Or perhaps they changed the blend for this...?

This is a big MISS in my opinion. Certainly not worth $20/stick.