Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 06-22-2005, 09:07 AM   #1
jjmd
Club Member

Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Robusto

I don't know if it is because I've been on a Cuban kick lately, or b/c the hype on this line is so great, but I expected more from this Don Carlos. Standard Robusto vitola - plain brown wrapper with medium veins. Easy light and smooth draw. Impeccable construction with a white ash that held for 1.5 inches! I only ashed twice the whole stick! Started with a very interesting mild spice and wood, then developed a mild spice and cedar taste that lasted the rest of the journey. I kept waiting for it to open up into something more, but alas, it never did. Still a very nice smoke for 45 minutes, but for the price, I've had better.

-JJ

jjmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:11 AM   #2
JCole311
Club Member

I agree the Don Carlos is a good cigar that is ver smooth. Nice for once in a while, but at the price its a bit prohibitive.
JCole311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:25 PM   #3
ElkTwin

I love these. Mine are from '96 and are sooooo smooth.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:06 PM   #4
shrink
Club Member

I still have a bunch of DC's and some Hemingways, which were favorites before I fell off the face of the known world... so they have got a couple years or so on them. When I pull a Don Carlos #2 out, more out of nostalgia than anything else, I am surprised by how good they are. Really, really smooth, mildly flavorful, with sweet, floral notes. A refined, but good spring or summer cigar that goes well with fruit juices. Hmmm... maybe time to check 'em out. Hey, wake up in there!
Old 06-23-2005, 10:17 AM   #5
JET
Club Member

These are a great line of Fuentes. I always have a box of No. 3's on hand along with several others in the different sizes. They just have a unique flavor to them, different from all the other Fuentes.

JET
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:19 AM   #6
InfrnalSky
Club Member

I never enjoyed the Don Carlos line. I have tried many times, including aging some for well over a year. They aren't bad cigars, just not my thing. However, I can definately see why so many people like them.

Eddie
InfrnalSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 01:06 PM   #7
one90proof
Club Member

I'm not a fan of these. They are beautiful cigars but just don't offer enough excitement for my tastes. Bland....that's the word I would use to describe them. It's been over a year since I smoked one though so at some point I'll prolly give them another chance.
one90proof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:32 PM   #8
andrewhac

Smooth but not satisfying...

I have a A.F Don Carlos every now and then and it is smooth but somehow not satisfying... I try the Torano 1916's Cameroon (The Churchill) and find it to be more meaty, fuller body than the Don Carlos, and to best it off, it is cheaper too like 1/3 of the DC. To each his own...
Old 07-06-2005, 05:33 PM   #9
Polestar
Club Member

The Don Carlos line, by my lights, defines what great cameroons should be; mild to medium bodied with a slight cedary ( sometimes maple-like ) sweetness and a touch of spice. For something far less expensive( about $50+/box ) and about equally good ( with all the right qualities ), try the Vega de Fonseca Sobrinos. I can't figure out how Fonseca ( MATASA ) makes such a good cigar at that price point.

The Torano 1916s are excellent cigars in their own right, but I just don't think they taste like classic cameroons.
Polestar is offline   Reply With Quote