Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 09-30-2003, 04:04 PM   #1
red
Herf Meister

"new" turntable

Got a Technics SL-Q3 turntable, with an Ortofon needle, and a Stanton headshell, with extra needles, for 47 bucks plus shipping. Can't wait to get it. That is a really great deal, providing it works of course!! I see those turntables go for over 300 bucks all the time! I am excited cause I haven't had a way to play vinyl in a while. I will be able to preserve it all on disk now too. Some of my albums are extremely rare, and are getting old. I collect Christmas vinyl, and those are the hardest to find by any artist. And, they usually don't re-release those on CD. Not enough market. Anyone else into vinyl out there?
You guys must be tonguing the hole or something...Smokerch
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 05:00 AM   #2
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Re: "new" turntable

Quote:
Originally Posted by red8657
Anyone else into vinyl out there?
Have 'trimmed' my LPs over the last few years, replacing them with the newer CD releases. That said, I zealously hold on to some old albums which either haven't been re-issued digitally or which I treasure for their overall presentation. Would never give up my turntable (Sansui SR-929).
Old 10-01-2003, 05:24 AM   #3
aaronb

Trying to expand my collection as we speak. I have a cheapie turntable now which my grandmother gave me with her collection of 78s. Waiting till I have some extra money to pick up a nice one for my few records, and trying to accumulate all the vinyl I can in the meantime. Will have to hold onto that cheap turntable, though. It is next to impossible to find something that plays 78s.
aaronb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 05:34 AM   #4
beevod
Herf God

Bang & Olufsen for my 33s (damn needle alone is $100), Garard, about 30 years old, for my 78s.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:50 AM   #5
Renaissance Man
Owner Emeritus
Herf God

Welcome back to the "Dark Side" of audio.

IMHO, Vinyl is vastly superior to CD.
My current rotation: Bolivars (RC, PC, BBF, CE and Corona JR), Punch Punch, El Original Claro Corona and Lancero, Davidoff Grand Cru #1, VR Famoso, Upmann #2, and R&J Churchill.
Renaissance Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 03:31 PM   #6
red
Herf Meister

Just found out the shipping is 42 bucks! Oh well, I guess it's worth it. Still haven't found one with a good needle for less than 200 anywhere else. Will be 97.00 by the time I am done. Can't wait!!
Old 10-01-2003, 03:38 PM   #7
red
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Man

You know, I have always been a fan of the CD format. I love it, and still do. I always thought vinyl was scratchy and didn't have the range of frequency or dynamics that was available on CD. I still don't, in the scientific way, and it is true. However, I realized that I had never really heard good vinyl in a quiet setting on a state of the art system. After I did, I love it. I still won't ever give away my CD player, but I have found that vinyl can express music just as well as a CD, and sometimes better. I think that has to do with the inherent midrange boost that is given by most vinyl recordings. This makes it much more like the studio sound than most people are used to, and gives it that "warmth." I listen to most of my music on bi-amplified studio monitors, and it's amazing what you miss on even a relatively nice home stereo system. Most people set up an eq in the smiley face, and lose all the midrange and clarity. Just MHO.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:51 PM   #8
B_Mac
Club Member

I am currently without a working turn table for our small collection of vinyl (mostly notalgic stuff from the 70's). We do have a good working 8-track player and a crank operated victrola for our 78's. Sound quality is pretty poor, but its kind of cool to play recorded music without any electronics.
B_Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 05:41 AM   #9
Poohdvm
Club Member

I am always checking the flea markets and garage sales for vinyl. You can find some good stuff hidden away sometimes.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:44 PM   #10
Renaissance Man
Owner Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by red8657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Man

You know, I have always been a fan of the CD format. I love it, and still do. I always thought vinyl was scratchy and didn't have the range of frequency or dynamics that was available on CD. I still don't, in the scientific way, and it is true. However, I realized that I had never really heard good vinyl in a quiet setting on a state of the art system. After I did, I love it. I still won't ever give away my CD player, but I have found that vinyl can express music just as well as a CD, and sometimes better. I think that has to do with the inherent midrange boost that is given by most vinyl recordings. This makes it much more like the studio sound than most people are used to, and gives it that "warmth." I listen to most of my music on bi-amplified studio monitors, and it's amazing what you miss on even a relatively nice home stereo system. Most people set up an eq in the smiley face, and lose all the midrange and clarity. Just MHO.
I disagree that vinyl recordings exhibit an "inherent midrange boost". I've compared some very high-end turntables and CD playback systems and find that vinyl (IMHO of course) is far more involving. It conveys the emotion of the music and puts me that much closer to the performers.

As opposed to bi-amped monitors, I currently favor a minimalist approach and run Quicksilver Audio 300B single-ended tube amps into full-range, horn-loaded Lowther PM2A drivers.

But that's the nice thing about audio - whatever floats your boat is the right system for you.
My current rotation: Bolivars (RC, PC, BBF, CE and Corona JR), Punch Punch, El Original Claro Corona and Lancero, Davidoff Grand Cru #1, VR Famoso, Upmann #2, and R&J Churchill.
Renaissance Man is offline   Reply With Quote