Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 11-21-2020, 03:09 PM   #11
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
I'd go with Popeye's if you have one. Their fried turkeys are the best.
I've never been to one, but we do have a few that are local. I'll look into that.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:38 AM   #12
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Get a bucket of their chicken while you are there. IMO, best fried chicken on the market. Don’t be afraid of the spicy. Lots of flavor, no heat.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:40 AM   #13
Jester
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Their beans and rice are pretty good too, Rob.

For you Northerners that is...

J.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:25 PM   #14
KatDad
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
Get a bucket of their chicken while you are there. IMO, best fried chicken on the market. Don’t be afraid of the spicy. Lots of flavor, no heat.
Yep! Love that Popeye's spicy fried chicken.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:28 PM   #15
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

Popeyes is always great fried chicken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:22 AM   #16
vernonator
Herf Meister

We are doing the normal Turkey, Dressing (Sage and Onion), Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, veggie side (still to be determined) Parker House Rolls (yes home made) and a couple of pies - pumpkin and cherry.

We normally have 20+ here but one whole branch of the family has decided to stay home. Their daughter is visiting from Montana where she is a Doctor and she wants to limit her exposure. Both Grandpa's at 85 have elected to stay home as well.

I bought the smallest bird I have in 15yrs at just 13lbs - in years past I have done multiple 15-20lb birds (roast one smoke one was a popular mix). It will be us 4 and MAYBE 3 more (Wife's sister and her two boys) that are local.
vernonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 05:38 AM   #17
Jester
Contributing Editor
Club Member

For me it is prep day today. Brine is cooling for the bird, neck and giblets out for stuffing preps. Potatoes will be done today and maybe even the veg dishes and the first "official" T-day pie, a pumpkin one with ginger streusel topping.

Todays food is quick and easy seafood. Shrimp and mussels mostly.

If this is accomplished properly today then tomorrow is mostly filling the house with roasting turkey aromas as we wait patiently...

Oh yeah, SU knocked out the cranberries yesterday so things in there have a few days to be properly acquainted.

J.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:16 PM   #18
jeepdad
Club Member

We went with a Honey Baked Ham this year first time ever with no turkey. We wanted to cut down on amount of work in the kitchen. Usually it's me and my Bride that do all the cooking. So, this year we divvied up the side dishes with family and had a rather enjoyable time. Honey baked ham, mustard sauce, deviled eggs, green bean casserole, pineapple stuffing, cranberry, twice baked potatoes, rolls, blueberry muffins and pumpkin pies. For appetizers we had marinated cheese and a veggie tray with dip. We also had a delicious punch with flavored vodka options. Followed up with several premium sticks. It was a good day. Hope yours was as well.
jeepdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:49 AM   #19
Jester
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Well the day was officially completed this morning. There are oddities associated with these events that extend far beyond food. They involve a lot of china, crystal and silver that needs polishing. Depression era stuff from one side of the house or the other. Or from one foreign assignment or another. It comes out only for occasions like these and only for a 93 year old Mom and the thankfulness that she is still with us.

They were successfully retrieved, washed, polished, used, washed again and as of this morning put away until the next event. Thankfully undamaged.

Now back to trays and paper plates...but continued thankfulness.

J.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:05 AM   #20
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

4 people, 23 pound turkey that came out excellent, lots of leftovers. Decided not to make the rib roast until Sunday. Making turkey pot pies today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SLR is online now   Reply With Quote