Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2004, 01:11 PM   #1
InfrnalSky
Club Member

Padron 6000 Natural and Oliva Master Blends I Robusto

I am now home down south here in San Juan Capistrano, California for the holidays and decided to visit the local store here in SJC. I must say, they have quite a selection. I bought a Padron 6000 Natural, Oliva Master Blends I Robusto, AF Hemingway Classic Maduro, and CAO MX2. I have never had any of these cigars before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I decided to smoke the Padron 6000 and the Oliva Master Blends I Robusto first. Here are my quick reviews:

Padron 6000 Natural

I had been wanting to try this cigar in the maduro, but he only had the natural. I was a little bummed, but was still willing to try it. This cigar looked absolutely great. I clipped the head and lit it up. The cigar started off a little rough, but enjoyable. It was earthy, leathery, and good tobacco flavors. However, about an inch into it, the draw became very tight. I was barely able to get any smoke out of it. I massaged the cigar and it began to loosen up, but after a few draws, it would get back to being tight. When the draw was tight, it became very bitter, a little more harsh, and full of olive flavors (and I can't stand olives). Every once in a while, the draw would improve, and the taste was tons better. This time, it was good tobaccao, slight chocolate and leather. However, with the draw being as much of a pain as it was, I had to ditch it with just a little over an inch left. I could imagine that, without the bad draw and with some humi time to get rid of the harshness, this could be a top notch cigar. I can also imagine how a maduro wrapper on this cigar could turn it into a much better tasting cigar, since I am a fan of the maduro wrapper.

Oliva Master Blends I Robusto

WOW! I have heard good things about this cigar, and they were right. The oily, slightly reddish hued wrapper looked gorgeous. The band was beautiful, and I thought the little "tattoe" underneath the band was pretty freakin' cool. I cut the cap and lit the cigar. All I can say is that the flavors of this cigar for the first half were very "lively". It was very citrusy with a little bit of spice. VERY enjoyable and quite intense. About a little more than half the cigar left, good tobacco flavors became the core of the cigar, surrouned by those yummy citrus flavors. Also, the spice began to build more, tingling my lips and tounge. With just over a quarter left of the cigar, the citrus died down and the tobacco flavors took over, with a hint of caramel. The finish was long and yummy. I can imagine this being a great cigar to age, and I can also see why some people call it a very "cubanesque" non-cuban.

In conclusion, I thoroghly enjoyed the MB I Robusto. I am now thinking a box may be in order. As for the Padron, I eagerly anticipate the day I can try the 6000 in maduro form, and can only hope it won't be plagued by the draw problems that this one had.

Happy Holidays everybody, and Happy Smoking!

Eddie
InfrnalSky is offline   Reply With Quote