Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 01-15-2022, 10:58 AM   #1
dz130
Herf Meister

Question About An Old Box

I have a box of Royal Jamaica Bucaneers in maduro. These were made in the DR, and I marked a date of 10/21/2003 on one of the bands.

The bottom says, "Hand Made In The Dominican Republic By The Jamaica Tobacco Co. La Romana, Dominican Republic." There's an ink stamp that says EEL.

Anyone have any information about these? I think that they are the oldest cigars that I have.

Finally out of the sandbox.

If I say Corona, I ain't talking beer.

RIP Ed Toner
dz130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 04:57 AM   #2
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz130 View Post
I have a box of Royal Jamaica Bucaneers in maduro. These were made in the DR, and I marked a date of 10/21/2003 on one of the bands.

The bottom says, "Hand Made In The Dominican Republic By The Jamaica Tobacco Co. La Romana, Dominican Republic." There's an ink stamp that says EEL.

Anyone have any information about these? I think that they are the oldest cigars that I have.
I can't help you unfortunately, but will be waiting with you for one of our residents experts here to chime in, as I have never heard of them, so curious about them

I friggin' LOVE cigars
smbauerllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 03:04 AM   #3
Smok'em1313

Was cleaning out a room this weekend and found an old Perelman's Pocket Cyclopedia of Cigars, 2002 edition.

It states that it's a slim panatela (5-1/2 x 30):
Wrapper: Indonesia
Binder: Cameroon, Mexico
Filler: DR, Indonesia, Jamaica
"The filler is predominately Jamaica-grown tobaccos, with a secret family additive applied during the fermentation process. The Mexican binder combined with the Java wrapper results in a unique, spicy flavor."

I was in Jamaica prior to the hurricane that destroyed the factory and purchased some RJs. Unfortunately it was on a lark, since I really didn't smoke cigars and I therefore have no recollection on them. I wish I keep a few, but of course had no humidor at the time so they probably would have turned into dust anyways. 😁

Have you smoke one recently? If so, please describe.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:28 AM   #4
Lew
Starting Member

The secret ingredient is Bethune - a boiled root extract that has an addictive quality.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 08:30 AM   #5
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
The secret ingredient is Bethune - a boiled root extract that has an addictive quality.
Wow look who has popped in!
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 04:03 AM   #6
Smok'em1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
Bethune? 🤔
Old 01-23-2022, 03:35 PM   #7
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smok'em1313 View Post
Bethune? 🤔
It's called betún in el ol' español. It's a moistening agent that is sprayed on the leaves before they are worked by the cigar maker. Some manufacturers add flavorings to their betún so that they are not just spraying with water and root extract.

At least that's what I have picked up over the years of reading about cigars. The bethune is not discussed much.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:25 AM   #8
bipolar
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBB View Post
It's called betún in el ol' español. It's a moistening agent that is sprayed on the leaves before they are worked by the cigar maker. Some manufacturers add flavorings to their betún so that they are not just spraying with water and root extract.

At least that's what I have picked up over the years of reading about cigars. The bethune is not discussed much.
I learn something new every day. I wonder what root it is.
Old 01-25-2022, 03:21 AM   #9
Smok'em1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBB View Post

Thx!

Did a quick search, not much on the topic as you stated:

CA
A mixture of herbs, wine, rum or a combination of such materials used to treat certain types of tobacco. It’s a process some cigarmakers do, but few discuss. Royal Jamaica was famous for using a bethune on its tobacco.

Robb Report
The simplest infusing process involves placing aromatic substances—for example, rum, brandy, or crushed coffee beans—alongside completed cigars as they age. But cigar makers now employ a more complex technique. Neither Drew Estate nor CAO International, another company noted for hand-rolled flavored cigars, will reveal the secrets behind its method. They will hint, though. “The process begins long before we manufacture the cigar,” Saka explains. “It has to do with how we ferment the tobacco and how we store it. We produce the tobacco for each flavor in a separate building to keep the flavors pure. Our technique is based on bethune, an old Cuban process in which the tobacco was treated with alcohol-based flavorings, typically spiced rum.”

Robustojoe
Ever smoke a maduro and find the flavors to be herbal, in a way that no natural cigar has ever been? If so, chances are the cigar has been treated with betume (or bethune). That’s when a solution is applied to the wrapper to add flavor as well as to darken its color. Each cigar maker has its own recipe for betume, the ingredients of which are a closely guarded secret. Many cigar makers do this, but will never admit it. (Again, this information was provided by an anonymous source.) Cigar making is like prestidigitation. Magicians will never reveal their tricks, and neither will the cigar industry. But if a cigar is black and extremely herbal, chances are slight-of-hand is at work. I, for one, have no problem with the use of betume. It adds additional flavor and character to a cigar. As long as the ingredients are natural, I have no objection.
Old 02-12-2022, 05:22 PM   #10
dz130
Herf Meister

Interesting. I may have to actually break one of these out of it's virgin box and try it.

Finally out of the sandbox.

If I say Corona, I ain't talking beer.

RIP Ed Toner
dz130 is offline   Reply With Quote