Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-2005, 08:19 AM   #1
sm.scoles

REVIEW: Thomas Hardy Ale, 2004

Not much on beer reviews, I'm just starting out on my journey through good beer, so here goes:

On my new beer travels I tried this brew, Thomas Hardy, 2004 bottling (11.2%).

Served in an 8.5 oz. bottle and poured into a small snifter. The color is almost a reddish copper/maroon/black cherry hue. Very little carbonation.

The nose has a sweet, pungent fruit smell with some doughy note, like fresh bread. Like a candy shop and bakery all mixed into one.

A woman who has had one of these stops by and tells me to pinch my nose because it's an aweful beer. After she leaves the woman next to me tells me it's one of the best beers she has ever had.

First sip and the flavors literally explode through your mouth, fruit, HEAVY malt and even a plum taste. It coats my mouth like a thin syrup, much thicker than I expected. Velvety in texture. After a moment the malt settles in and a nice sweetness takes over with a doughy/toasty thing around the edges. The aftertaste is very liqueurish to me, but very, very pleasant. Very subtle. You can taste the liquor in the aftertaste.

As I continued drinking the beer remained all black cherries, plums, MALT and some doughy notes here and there. Perhaps even a slight spice on occasion, especially in the aftertaste.

I left about 1.5 ounces in the bottle, wanting it to warm up a little bit to see what a little warmth does to it. I think it definately made the sweetness and fruit flavors a little more pronounced, made it taste a little 'thicker' if that makes sense...

This is definately a sipping beer, a night capper. A good way to get yourself wamred up on a night with a little chill in the air.

HIGHLY recommended.

Overall I would give this 4.8/5.