Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-16-2005, 01:20 PM   #1
sm.scoles

144 beers and you get a discount!

Their is a place in Amherst, MA, I do believe it is called the "Moan and Dove", it's a new beerhall.

They always have 166 beers on hand, at least 15 on draft. According to the owner their are virtually no 'big brand' beers in the place, no Buds, Millers, Coors, etc. No Heinekins, Rolling Rocks or Coronas. He spent over a year flying around the world, mostly europe, the US, Canada, Mexico and Asia going to breweries, international beer festivals, etc, to find the beers he would stock in his bar.

The beers he selected, according to him, were based entirely on taste alone. Almost every single beer was weeded out and selected using blind taste tests he did himself and several panel-style judgments.

The big 'thing' besides the extraordinairy selection of beers in this particular bar is the bonus card.

It's a card with 144 beers listed on it (The 144 beers he almost always has, the other 20+ are generally rotated...) If you drink one pint of each of these beers you are given a 26-ounce stein that you can bring back and get filled with any beer for the cost of a normal pint. When you get down to your last four beers you are given the stein and it is filled with a mix of all four beers. Once you drink that you are given the stein to keep and you have to stand on a stool, hold your stein and a pint of Guinness and recite a poem.

The reason for the Guinness is that this man was a 'Guinness snob' for many years and he feels that Guinness is the one massproduced beer that has been able to maintain quality and taste and it holds a sentimental value as well.

After that, it's 26 ounces for the cost of a pint for the rest of your life. Or as long as the joint is open.

Pretty wild!

Todd and Ralph clear a few weekends, my friends! We need steins!

- Sean