Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-24-2004, 09:23 AM   #1
I shot a man in Reno

Lagavulin 16yr vs Laphroaig 15yr

My Scotch training is coming along nicely. My palate not only "accepts" the joys of Islay, it now yearns for it.

My boss got me hooked on Lagavulin 16yr during a business trip a few months back. I was able to try it a few more times at various bars, but have come to the unfortunate conclusion that it is impossible to find in stores. I complained to my boss that he was a bad man for getting me hooked on something that could not be found. Well, the holidays are here and guess what... he turned out to be a good man because he gave me a bottle of this fine elixir as a X-mas gift. What a guy! (want to come work for us?).

Then, last night I had the joy of trying something else that was nice - Laphroaig 15yr. I think the Laphroaig doesn't have as much peat on the nose, but does have more peat on the tongue. It seemed very well balanced, a bit less punchy than the Lagavulin, and will serve as fine alternative, I'm sure.

I still need to try some more of these before reaching any final conclusions, but I think both the Lagavulin 16yr and Laphroaig 15yr will find permanent residence in my cabinet.

Now the only thing left to try is the 1977 Arbeg per JazzNut's recommendation. My birthday is coming up in a few weeks, so I might have to pick some up for me.
I shot a man in Reno is offline   Reply With Quote