Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-05-2004, 05:05 AM   #1
Sancho Panza
Floridays
Herf God

O Brother, Where Art Thou? Soundtrack

Long after listening with in jefslat's truck in October, finally broke down & bought the CD:

1. Po Lazarus 20k | 65k
2. Big Rock Candy Mountain 20k | 65k
3. You Are My Sunshine 20k | 65k
4. Down to the River to Pray 20k | 65k
5. Man of Constant Sorrow 20k | 65k
6. Hard Time Killing Floor Blues 20k | 65k
8. Keep on the Sunny Side 20k | 65k
9. I'll Fly Away 20k | 65k
10. Didn't Leave Nobody but the Baby 20k | 65k
11. In the Highways 20k | 65k
12. I Am Weary, Let Me Rest 20k | 65k
13. Man of Constant Sorrow [Instrumental] 20k | 65k
14. O Death 20k | 65k
15. In the Jailhouse Now 20k | 65k
16. Man of Constant Sorrow [Band Version][Take] 20k | 65k
17. Indian War Whoop [Instrumental] 20k | 65k
18. Lonesome Valley 20k | 65k
19. Angel Band 20k | 65k

Album Review
The critical consensus at the end of 2000 was that it had been one of the weakest film years in recent memory. Which may have been true, despite O Brother, Where Art Thou?, the Coen brothers' delightfully warm and weird Depression-era re-telling of Homer's Odyssey. But for music lovers, 2000 was an amazing year at the movies, and it produced several excellent soundtrack compilations including Almost Famous, Dancer in the Dark, Wonder Boys, and High Fidelity. Even with such steep competition, the soundtrack album for O Brother, Where Art Thou? may be the best of the year. In order to capture the sound of Mississippi circa 1932, the Coens commissioned T-Bone Burnett, a masterful producer whose work with artists like Elvis Costello, Sam Phillips, Joseph Arthur, and Counting Crows has earned him a special place in the folk-rock hall of fame, to research and re-create the country, bluegrass, folk, gospel, and blues of the era. The Coens were so taken with Burnett's discoveries that the film became a unique sort of musical revue. There are no original compositions here (though Burnett is given a "music by" credit usually reserved for composers), and the characters do not generally break into stylized song and dance numbers (as they do in, say, Everyone Says I Love You). But nearly every scene in O Brother is set to a period song, and the music frequently drives and defines the action. With two exceptions -- a stunning 1955 Alan Lomax recording of a black prison chain gang singing "Po Lazarus", and Harry McClintock's "Big Rock Candy Mountain" -- every song was recorded for the film by an impressive assembly of old-time country veterans (Fairfield Four, Ralph Stanley, the Whites) and talented newcomers (Gillian Welch, Alison Krauss, Emmylou Harris). These recordings, which were made without the meddling clarity of digital technology, give the film much of its power and authenticity. A significant segment of the plot hinges on the (utterly plausible) notion that Dan Tyminksi's ebullient rendition of "I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow" could be a runaway hit. A memorable sequence involving three riverside sirens centers around an eerie version of "Didn't Leave Nobody But the Baby." And Stanley's a cappella performance of "O Death" sets a chilling tone for a climactic struggle at a Ku Klux Klan rally. Throughout, Burnett's steady guiding hand is evident. This soundtrack is a powerful tribute not only to the time-honored but commercially ignored genres of bluegrass and mountain music but also to Burnett's remarkable skills as a producer. ~ Evan Cater, All Music Guide

William Faulkner, Intruder in the Dust 1948
Sancho Panza is offline   Reply With Quote