Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 05-06-2002, 07:30 PM   #1
RyJExh4

Check this article out. What's next?

Manhattan Co-Op Board Bans Smoking
Posted May 6, 2002, 5 p.m. e.s.t.

It's never easy for a cigar smoker to find a place where he can light up in peace. Anti-smoking legislation and cigar bans are a constant frustration, and sometimes it seems the only safe haven for a cigar smoker is in the privacy of his own home.

That's in jeopardy, too.

A co-op board on the West Side of Manhattan has banned new buyers from smoking in their own apartments. After years of complaints from residents that smoke was seeping into their homes through vents, the board of 180 West End Avenue passed the resolution on April 22.

There are 452 units in the building, and many that still house smokers. But now interested buyers must state whether they smoke -- an admission that could affect their application -- and agree to keep any visitors from smoking. Any shareholders caught smoking in their apartment could have a court injunction brought against them by the co-op board and their proprietary lease terminated.

Current residents can continue smoking under a grandfather clause. Because they were living there before the new restriction, they are not affected by the ban and can light up freely in their home.

According to Douglas Klein, the director of the National Association of Housing Cooperatives in Washington, D.C., the bandoesn't violate any housing fairness laws, nor is it unconstitutional. A co-op board, he said, has the right to enact a smoking restriction, just as it has the right to prohibit pets.

"They are acting as any owner would," Klein said of the board's decision. "They are concerned with indoor air quality and are looking to improve it. It comes down to balancing the rights of smokers and nonsmokers."

Klein says this is the first time to his knowledge that a co-operative board has banned smoking. He doesn't think it will become a trend.

"It's all dependent on whether or not [smoking] is a problem," he said. "I don't think it will become a trend, but I think other co-ops will be watching, especially if it's a restriction they could easily implement."

Although no other co-ops have adopted smoking bans, restaurants and bars with smoking restrictions have become commonplace in today's society. Montogomery County, Maryland, attempted to ban smoking in public areas and even tried to ban smoking in homes.

In November 2000, the village council of Friendship Heights, Maryland, proposed an outdoor smoking ban. The legislation came after complaints from residents. In December it passed, and repeat-offenders caught smoking on locally maintained sidewalks, in parks and other public grounds within the community were fined $100. Montgomery County Circuit Court Judge Durke Thompson overturned the ban on March 5, 2001.

A year later, Montgomery County was back in the news. This time the Maryland county, which comprises such towns as Chevy Chase, Rockville and Bethesda, proposed a law to ban smoking in homes and yards if a neighbor deems the smoke offensive. The law was dropped on November 27, 2001, when county executive Douglas M. Duncan vetoed the legislation.

--Mike Marsh
RyJExh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 03:20 AM   #2
emind56
Club Member

Deplorable
emind56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 04:55 AM   #3
jchamb
Club Member

Smoke Nazis is right...
I'm glad I don't live in Maryland.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:53 AM   #4
Vegas1
Club Member

Here they go again!

Vegas1
"She Must Shag Like A Mink" - Austin Powers
Old 05-07-2002, 07:55 AM   #5
Pill Man

I'm not certain I understand the outrage and indignation this article has generated (here and on other boards). My understanding is that this is a privately owned co-op. And one where all the units are within one building. The no smoking rule was voted on by the co-op owners, and any furure prospective buyers know in advance of the no smoking rule.

This is not like some disinterested agency telling you you can't smoke in your own home. This is a private co-op, and as such can pretty much make up their own rules.

No

Doug.
Ain't Life Grand?!
____________________ ~~
(___<<M>>____________}}}
dmlod(at)frontiernet.net
www.frontiernet.net/~dmlod
- Son House
Pill Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 08:08 AM   #6
Aahzz
Club Member

Pill Man, I agree with you on the Co-op issue.

The Maryland laws, on the other hand, are indeed cause for outrage.
JLOH #42
Aahzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 08:52 AM   #7
henry
Banned

this sux.....

what's the last thing you hear from a red neck
before he dies

HEY Y'ALL watch this
henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 10:03 AM   #8
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

The point of all of this is not the particular case of the co-op. It's that little by little our freedom to smoke is being infringed upon. I know it's not necessarily a right, because it wasn't granted, but first it's restaurants, and outdoor stadia, then it's individual co-ops, then it's public squares, then they're even going into private homes.

Each little victory emboldens these people until there will eventually be agencies that map out little areas where you can smoke and no one would be offended. Yet they won't outlaw it, anytime soon because of the amount of tax money tobacco products bring in.

Somewhere, somehow a whole bunch of mindless people in this nation have come up with the idea that the Constitution has a right granted in it that we not be offended.

Who tagged BigO's wiener?

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 11:41 AM   #9
mannish
Herf God

I hate to repeat myself but BEFORE the resturants, clubs...etc started banning smoing people were not allowed to smoke in their own house by their OWN spouses. So like I always say clean up your own backyard before you talk about the neighbor's yard.

Is YOUR spouse a smoke nazi...? Sorry to beat a dead horse but if you ain't got the 'right' in YOUR home then how can you complain about resturants, clubs or outdoor stadiums to which you do not have any ownership. I find it absurd when some people have to go outside to smoke then complain about a business or government banning smoking. That's not directed at anyone in particular.
Old 05-07-2002, 01:39 PM   #10
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Yes my wife is a smoke Nazi.

I don't know that I could answer your points adequately, so, I'll have to just say that I disagree with you, and apologize for my incompetent debating skills.

Who tagged BigO's wiener?

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote