Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2004, 03:56 AM   #1
mshade
Club Member

Groundhogs

The first concert I went to was the Mount Pocono Rock Festival in '72 with this lineup of bands:

THREE DOG NIGHT
EMERSON LAKE & PALMER
ROD STEWART & THE FACES
MOTHER NIGHT
CACTUS
EDGAR WINTER GROUP
J. GEILS BAND
HUMBLE PIE
CLAIRE HAMIL
GROUNDHOGS
RAMATAM
ANGUS & THE BULLS

A bunch of my buddies and I arrived the night before hoping to get close to the stage and more importantly we were worried we didn't have enough of "chronic", and were hoping to score some at the concert. My most vivid recollection of that weekend was pulling into the parking lot to a flea market of drug stands. Guys walking around selling acid, mesculin, hash, you name it. "Orange Sunshine here." "Anybody need any Purple Haze." "Black Beauties over here." I turned to one of friends and said looks like we don't have to worry about scoring.

The other thing I remember well is the band Groundhogs. They led off the festival and were a three man band that absolutely rocked the place. I went away from there thinking they were the best band of the weekend. Anybody ever hear of them or know anything about them? I did a quick search on Google and can't find anything.

Just found them-http://www.thegroundhogs.co.uk/40%20years.html#biog