Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2004, 08:20 PM   #1
HuskerHerfer

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

Reading through the best bass player thread again, I was driven to browse through my Flecktones folder.

The first thing that comes to mind when first hearing a Bela Fleck tune is "what the f*** is this?" They generally start and finish as twangy bluegrass tunes, kicked off by a banjo player, Bela Fleck. But it's imperative you keep listening, as they generally stray a few miles away from where they started, and before long you realize you're completely absorbed in something pretty amazing. Then Victor Wooten emerges from the bottom for a solo, and you're blown away. Where has this guy been hiding, and why hadn't you heard of him before? Then he falls back, and the banjo now sounds like it fits in perfectly in the jazz like direction they've headed. By the time they finish, back with the same twangy bluegrass sound where they started, you're shaking your head in amazement.

I guess it's because they defy classification that they'll never be really well known. And what a shame, because they're incredible.

Any other Flecktones fans out there? Anybody seen them live?
HuskerHerfer is offline   Reply With Quote