Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 06-10-2003, 06:57 PM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Henry Clay Churchill

7 inches by 50 ring gauge.
From its fairly smooth, oily, deeply hued Colorado wrapper leaf to its imposing dimensions, this Dominican exudes an aura of substance. Lighting up the cigar reinforces that initial impression, as a medium-bodied yet firm texture takes hold from the start and conveys persistent toastiness along with cinnamon nuances and the faintest hint of chocolate. This Churchill exhibits an exemplary draw from the beginning and only tends toward a slight bitterness near the finish. Whilst the Henry Clay doesn't offer up such an incredible pot-pourri of flavours as many of the Cubans, it still provides for a relatively heady and satisfying smoking session.
out of

Old 06-10-2003, 07:05 PM   #2
red
Herf Meister

I've been thinking of getting a fiver of these. Thanks for the review. Hmm.. so many cigars to try, so little time to do so.
You guys must be tonguing the hole or something...Smokerch
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 07:39 PM   #3
JoeyBogus
Club Member

I really like those gnarly and oily CTBL-wrapped Dominican Henry Clays (the Brevas, in particular). The Henry Clay brand is what I like to call an "honest" cigar; that is, it doesn't pretend to be anything more than it is, but yet it often delivers more than it's rough appearances might suggest. I've noticed they are also selling HC's with a H2000 wrapper. Just curious -- was yours a CTBL or H2000?
Old 06-11-2003, 03:34 AM   #4
jchamb
Club Member

Thanks for the review. I've had boxes of both the CT shade and the H2000 wrappers in the past, and my first impression of the H2000 cigars was that they weren't very good.

After smoking a few, they sorta grew on me, and I decided that they were really good! The H2000 ones had a nice dark red and oily wrapper, with a unique flavor that took some getting used to (but were great once you got hooked on them).
Old 06-11-2003, 05:56 AM   #5
aaronb

I've always enjoyed the Henry Clays I've smoked. Seem to be pretty consistent and a good price. Some folks really don't like them, though.
aaronb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 06:43 AM   #6
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBogus
Just curious - was yours a CTBL or H2000?
Regular version. Haven't seen the H2000s here yet.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:01 AM   #7
MikeVF

For some reason, i've just never liked these. They just always seem to have an off taste to my palate and almost everyone I've ever had has had some sort of construction flaw. Guess thats what makes the world interesting. Thanks for the review!

Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis
MikeVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 10:39 AM   #8
Polestar
Club Member

The Mirabellle H2000s and the Senator H2000s are great smokes. I like their unique flavors. Also like the HC Broadleafs. But they're entirely different smokes. Agreed with jchamb above that the H2000 HC is an acquired taste, but worth acquiring. They benefit from some aging.
Polestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 11:33 AM   #9
Hooko
Club Member

It's been a long time since I've tried a HC. I use to like them quite a bit. Thanks for reminding me.
Hooko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 10:01 AM   #10
moob
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polestar
The Mirabellle H2000s and the Senator H2000s are great smokes. I like their unique flavors. Also like the HC Broadleafs. But they're entirely different smokes. Agreed with jchamb above that the H2000 HC is an acquired taste, but worth acquiring. They benefit from some aging.
I second this motion. Love the Mirabelles. Thanks for the review.