Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 07-23-2001, 02:01 PM   #1
Renaissance Man
Owner Emeritus
Herf God

How many of you, as I do, prefer records to CDs? IMVHO, the only advantage CDs have is that you can play them in the car. But as far as sound quality, records just sound better.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
My current rotation: Bolivars (RC, PC, BBF, CE and Corona JR), Punch Punch, El Original Claro Corona and Lancero, Davidoff Grand Cru #1, VR Famoso, Upmann #2, and R&J Churchill.
Renaissance Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 09:12 AM   #2
CHESS NUT
Club Member

I listens to my records for a trip down memory lane. I know every pop,click and scratch in each one I spent so many hours as a kid listening to them with headphones. Listening to my records give me that warm fuzzy feeling!
Old 04-04-2003, 09:18 AM   #3
darkstar
Club Member

there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

In general, albums tend to sound more natural and warm while digital conveys a "cleaner" sound along with the convenience factor.

With that said, advances in digital sound have been made over the last couple of years to narrow the gap. The problem is that you have to spend some serious money on the equipment to reap the benefit.

For what its worth, my choice is digital.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:35 AM   #4
Castanza
Club Member

I know there are still a lot of audiophiles who swear by vinyl. From what I know, in order to have a system that will play vinyl that sounds great. You need to spend some money on a turntable, and do a bit of tweaking. Personally, I prefer the simplicity of cd's. I also enjoy 5 channel and 6 channel as well. I do have my old turntable hooked up, but rarely do I play any of the albums.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:40 AM   #5
dmg2
Club Member

Vinyl.
I have a Dexter Gordon reissue on 180 gram vinyl that is so crisp it bounces off the turntable.

Also, Frank and Count Basie at the Sands with the gatefold sleeve.
dmg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 09:46 AM   #6
archmage

I like the sound of good vinyl very much, but as of yet my system is cd only. The main reason I haven't got a record player is that I started really getting into music when CD was already taking place as the primary music media, and so I haven't got a big collection of LPs, and as I'm quite picky about audio components, a record player that I would accept would be rather costly. If at some point I have a few thousand to waste, I might go for a player and records, but lately there have been all too much of more acute needs to spend the money to.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:49 AM   #7
mannish
Herf God

IMHO it ain't vinyl vs CD it's analog vs digital. Analog sonds better, warmer and truer to the source to my ears. Digital is brittle

I prefer CD over vinyl but analog over digital....So sound wise Vinyl all other
aspects CDs.

I do hate that CDs don't fold out like the album covers. You can't clean your smoke on a CD insert..?
mannish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 10:25 AM   #8
dmg2
Club Member

Quote:
I do hate that CDs don't fold out like the album covers. You can't clean your smoke on a CD insert..?
I got BM's Rastaman Vibrations, which specifically states that this album is good for cleaning smoke, before I understood it. A personal favorite for that reason and the sounds...
dmg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 11:56 AM   #9
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

CD's, though mannish brings up a great point. I do love getting out some old albums like Nugent's Free for All though, great stuff.

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 05:57 PM   #10
scott1966
Herf Meister

Gotta go with CD, just can't beat the quality.
scott1966 is offline   Reply With Quote