Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:42 AM   #1
cigarfan
Herf God

Why vinyl?

A serious question. It seems that vinyl is more available than ever as of late, and I'm seeing lp players on sale. I grew up with vinyl. I get the more warmth of sound. But I also remember scratched records, and if not store properly, warped lps..etc. Replacing needles.
Some of my research shows, that vinyl is limited in achieving the lower end of bass, and higher highs when trying to compress to one disc.

I'm not arguing for CDs or against vinyl, I'm simply trying to understand, that's all.

I have read that sales of CDs have fallen drastically in last few years. And vinyl sales are up, percentage wise, but of course downloads, and digital music rules now. (sadly)
Old 12-14-2015, 09:46 AM   #2
Sancho Panza
Floridays
Herf God

Wink

Lost my Turntable in 1990; I'm not looking.

William Faulkner, Intruder in the Dust 1948
Sancho Panza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:05 AM   #3
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have a processor that removes the vast majority of scratches from vinyl. Actually, two of them, one on my stereo and one on my computer. Have another one on my stereo that removes the hiss from tapes too.

MP3 removes so much of the sound quality that unless I'm using it on my phone, I much prefer the richness of vinyl but also like CDs for portability.

If vinyl is well cared for, it will last generations. I have my parent's collection of vinyl and as well as my mom cared for them, they are still for the most part pristine.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 12:05 PM   #4
hermit
Club Member

I lost about 500 albums to Katrina.
That was the end of vinyl for me.

“Ours may become the first civilization destroyed, not by the power of our enemies, but by the ignorance of our teachers and the dangerous nonsense they are teaching our children. In an age of artificial intelligence, they are creating artificial stupidity.”

Thomas Sowell
hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:35 PM   #5
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I have one of the most complete Firesign Theater collections on the planet (it is about the only collection I have since Katrina). Lots and lots of bootlegs. Extensive comedy album collection going back to the 50s. Much of this stuff was never released on CD or MP3. I still buy vinyl and 12" Laserdiscs of titles I can't get on CD or DVD.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:23 PM   #6
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Some of my research shows that vinyl is limited in achieving the lower end of bass,and higher highs when trying to compress to one disc.
To coin the title of a well known tune from Porgy and Bess, "It's not necessarily so."

What is true is that a vast number of commercially pressed LPs have been compromised to varying degrees (in terms of dynamic range and ultimate sound quality) by the sheer volumes of records pressed from masters and by conscious compromises (usually in the form of compression) in the recording studio.

To realize just how superbly the LP format can transmit the sounds of what actually took place in the recording studio to the home environment, get hold of a quality direct-to-disc LP and play it back through a decent sound system. You'll be amazed at how palpable the bass and highs are, and how naturally the overall sound spectrum is conveyed. Just be careful where you set your volume control, as the softer passages can easily tempt you to 'up' the volume... and then a really loud passage comes along and threatens to blow your speaker cones!

As far as I'm concerned, though, a high quality CD recording can be every bit as good a medium. Digitization has come a long way since the 1980s. And, no, I'm not a great fan of data-compressed sound media (such as MP3) - with the exception of the convenience and increased data-storage factors they offer.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:31 PM   #7
cigarfan
Herf God

When CDs first came on the market, I was impressed with the clarity of sound, compared to vinyl lps. That was before they got into the loudness wars. By trying to make the volume louder, some of the higher/lower end notes were compressed (or stomped on more than grapes in a barrel).
But I have heard some clearly outstanding CD issues, in terms of sound quality.

For example, U2's The Joshua Tree...the original CD issue, was simply sonically outstanding.
And Michael Jackson's "Bad"...original issue on CD, was sonically impressive.

I'm sure there are several others. Now it seems those same sonically impressive CDs can be had again, but they are referred to as "remasters" and special editions.

Though, I've not heard the Beatles remaster on vinyl, their mono box set is actually quite good sonically.

That said, I'm seeing a lot of inexpensive LP players on the market, along with $20-$25 Vinyl record albums. Hence my curiosity. Though I have no desire to own Nivarna's "Nevermind" on vinyl, the fact that it's available in the format is interesting to me.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:46 PM   #8
beevod
Herf God

One can enjoy both. I have several hundred vinyls -- their music is slightly warmer and less "metallic." But they must be cared for immaculately. I'll give up my Sousa LP when they pry it from my cold dead hands.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:10 PM   #9
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Same as I feel with my classic jazz LPs. Many of my favorites are still on vinyl (music) and were never released on CD or MP3. I wish I could still play many of my 78's or 16's. Lot of good material there.

There was a good article in the WSJ about how a scientist in another field was bringing good old recordings back to life digitally that were considered lost.

Unborn lives matter too.

Last edited by BigO; 12-14-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:46 PM   #10
Wankel
Herf God

Like the old tubes vs. solid state debate I've heard many times.