Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Cigar Rights of America Efforts

CRA is fighting and needs our help in two states.
New York wanting to raise cigar taxes to 90% and Pennsylvania

From Facebook:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRA President Glynn Loope
The State of New York needs our help to defeat the proposed increase in cigar taxes, from 46% to 90%. This is serious, and imminent. The New York legislature is in budget discussions as we speak, and calls and emails need to be made. Please see the target list below.
LINK

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania needs our help to defeat the implementation of a new tax on cigars. Like New York, their legislature is trying to strike a budget deal, now. Calls and emails need to be made. Please see the target list below.
CRA Website

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Last edited by TommyBB; 06-17-2010 at 09:12 AM.
TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

TOP!
Let's do this guys.
Just think of how this will affect JR and CI! Your mail order bundles going up 30% or more... Think of how much that will, in turn, reduce the number of people buying from them, and thus not generate any significant revenue for the state....
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Done.

Don't forget, we have a thread that's stickied to the top of the Smokin Post, should you need some "talking points" or ideas for your correspondence. I also took the tack that if NY raises taxes, that Pa. stood to gain from relocated businesses and employees should they keep taxes and tax rates reasonably low.

Talking Points Thread

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Last edited by TommyBB; 06-17-2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Add link to other thread.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
Harleyrider
Club Member

I spent about a half hour this AM sending emails to PA and NY. Bastidges!!!
Old 06-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Now, the IPCPR weighs in, as well, through Chris McCalla

Quote:
Budget Negotiations Continue--Increased Tobacco Taxes Remain Target; Opportunities Exist for Some Tax Relief
Situation Remains Dynamic--Resolution Could Come at Anytime

June 17, 2010 - The State Assembly remains in a deadlock over the state's massive budget deficit, though a new budget could be approved relatively at any time. According to the Cigar Association of America (CAA), with whom the IPCPR allies and works closely, calls the present situation "fluid."

Though the governor wants to increase the other tobacco products (OTP) from 46% to 90%, several leaders in the legislature understand such an increase would be too high. Though these legislators agree that 90% could prove a poor decision, the reality is that there will be some increase in the OTP tax. Although an OTP tax in the range of 60% to 65% is being discussed, initial indications are that this falls $12 million short of raising the funds needed for the state's budget.

In addition to pressing for a lower tax rate, the CAA and the New York Tobacconist's Association (NYTA) continues pushing for a tax cap in the range of $.50 to no more than $1, which the governor opposes.

"We acknowledge with appreciation the fine efforts of the NYTA. which has been doing an excellent job of visiting members of the legislature and pressing for no tax increase whatsoever," said Norm Sharp, CAA President, in an email update to its membership. "In doing so, they have garnered a lot of positive publicity and aided the efforts of our lobbyist who has been engaged in discussions with key legislators." , in an email update to its members. The IPCPR continues working closely with the NYTA leadership to support their efforts.

Norm goes on to say that everyone must be wary of rumors that will be circulating.

We advise everyone to remain vigilant and continue pressing retailers and their customers to continue sending messages to Albany via IPCPR's Legislative Action Alert (see link below).

As new, credible information comes to fruition, and when this issue is finalized, we will inform you immediately.

New York: State Legislative Action Alert!

Old 06-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
bsslack
Herf Meister

These politicos never Fargin quit do they.

I sent short but concise e-mails with zero @%@%$@%#@! Those do not help the cause. Wacko rantings are ineffective at best. At worst they can undermine effective emails like... "The I pay taxes already and will seek a more fair avenue of trade if You do this thing." So, now that's Zero revenue for You! How does that grab You and Your Budget?

Hope it helps.

Cheers!

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

They don't ever get enough of taxing us.

Here's a piece from "Capitol Confidential" part of the Albany Times Union There's video in here, taken at De La Concha in New York City, from tobacconists, smokers, and the CRA.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
Renaissance Man
Owner Emeritus
Herf God

This is very important. Please take the time to make your voice heard.
My current rotation: Bolivars (RC, PC, BBF, CE and Corona JR), Punch Punch, El Original Claro Corona and Lancero, Davidoff Grand Cru #1, VR Famoso, Upmann #2, and R&J Churchill.
Renaissance Man is offline   Reply With Quote