Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Torano Takes Back Distribution

Carlos Toraño Cigars is announcing this afternoon, that they have retaken control of their own distribution from CAO International. Also, at the same time have rebranded, changing logos and renaming the company Toraño Family Cigars.

CW News and Feature Article

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
N99
Herf Meister

Good article.

Good on the Torano's for taking back distribution of their brand, I didn't see any improvement with CAO distributing.

I'm not sure about them coming out with two new premium cigars for retailers only. That is a surefire way to make sure I never buy them as the local retailers here price way too high (even after considering tax) not to mention I don't think I have ever seen a Torano product in any of the B&M's close to where I live.

I like their cigars, just don't know about how they are going about marketing them.

THINK, GADDAMIT!

gone bad (fff)
N99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Thank you for the compliment. I actually worked a bit on this one instead of just the press release.

I was speaking to a friend in the industry just now on the phone. And he believes, as you, that the distribution deal didn't help one bit.As he told me, anyone who's been observant will not have forgotten this quickly.

Over the last couple visits to the IPCPR, there are a fair number of manufacturers who want to "reward the folks who stuck by" them. They're trying to help the brick-and-mortar retailers, and they aim to have only those retail outlets carry their cigars. It's not a new idea. At this point, I don't know how well it works or doesn't work.

For example, Luis Molina, Devil's Weed, tried this. Luis was a retailer for years, and wanted to "give back" by making his cigars only available this way. But, as he was new and a relative outsider in comparison to the folks in Miami, he had a rough go of it, as we saw. He was forced to sell his inventory to CI in order to recoup even some of his investment.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Last edited by TommyBB; 07-15-2010 at 11:13 AM.
TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #4
infiniterapture

Good to hear! I always thought Torano's would be second fiddle since CAO had their own line of products. It's good to see them take the reigns of their own distributing again.

Rudyard Kipling~
infiniterapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
Breech
Club Member

Had the chance to meet the old man at a local B&M, and he was an absolute delight to talk with!! He had me laughing!

They are a great company, and I love their cigars.... Hope it all works out!!

John

Talkin' 'bout some back rent, she lucky if she get any front rent.- John Lee Hooker

Strike While The Iron Is Hot!!
Breech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
eastwood44mag
Club Member

So who do I need to talk to about getting a job?

"My cigars tend to attract the kind of women that b#*ch a lot" --N99
eastwood44mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
mealstrom
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBB View Post
They're trying to help the brick-and-mortar retailers, and they aim to have only those retail outlets carry their cigars. It's not a new idea. At this point, I don't know how well it works or doesn't work.

For example, Luis Molina, Devil's Weed, tried this. Luis was a retailer for years, and wanted to "give back" by making his cigars only available this way. But, as he was new and a relative outsider in comparison to the folks in Miami, he had a rough go of it, as we saw. He was forced to sell his inventory to CI in order to recoup even some of his investment.
Bucanero tried this too. At one point they refused to sell online because they wanted to reward the B&Ms that carried their sticks. Unfortunately changing times kept that from being a profitable venture. More and more cigar companies are opening up online stores directly from their websites. One day they could even end up closing down online retailers if they keep offering their cigars at cheaper prices from their own websites.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:28 AM   #8
H311oLHD
Herf Meister

Great article Tommy, thanks for it!!

I really think that some of these companies need to get with the times. I cannot tell you the last Torano I've had, and it's not because I haven't been smoking! Hardly anyone ever talks about Torano anymore, and I'm pretty sure that's the reason I never reach for them. The Toranos better start coming onto CW or something to get their name talked about again.
Rest In Peace Cubano.
Charter Member, MCLC
“Making others green with envy”™
H311oLHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #9
macsauce13
Club Member

And its really too bad. They have some fantastic smokes.
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:09 AM   #10
mealstrom
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by H311oLHD View Post
Great article Tommy, thanks for it!!

I really think that some of these companies need to get with the times. I cannot tell you the last Torano I've had, and it's not because I haven't been smoking! Hardly anyone ever talks about Torano anymore, and I'm pretty sure that's the reason I never reach for them. The Toranos better start coming onto CW or something to get their name talked about again.
I also haven't had a Torano in FOREVER. For me they price themselves out of my range for the quality of the smoke. To me they just don't have the complexity or depth that I like if I'm going to be paying in the $8 - $12 range for a cigar. I like them, but there are very few Toranos that haven't bored me by the end of it. (One notable exception being the Casa Torano Maduro)

A cigar can be a good simple cigar - I enjoy those too. But if you're going to charge top dollar then I'd expect you to be in the same league as other top dollar cigars.