Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2002, 01:49 PM   #1
DaveWF
Starting Member

Greetings all CW members, I thought I’d pop in here to introduce myself and try to set the record straight, or if that’s not possible, at least tell my side of the story. My name is Dave Frank, but I’m probably best known as DaveWF over at CigarPass.com .
I’ve been a long standing member over at CP, and as you can see by my registration, found CW late last year, signed up – but never posted. What can I say, I guess I was loyal to CP or something, the point is – I never posted here. Last night, a fellow CPer that was around when Henry & his cronies made their debut at CP sent me a link that he said I thought I’d find humorous here at CW. Apparently there were some questions about what happened over at CigarPass with Henry, WileGuile, RagingBull, & GarGirl. RagingBull had made a comment that Henry was blasted after making a veiled threat to me, but they he had also sent me a veiled threat, but I never responded. I had not remembered any such threat from RagingBull, so I questioned him about it. THAT was the reason for my coming here. That was the reason for my posting now. Sorry guys, no big conspiracy theory. No split-personality on MY end.
Sorry for the slight rant, but I wanted to explain my sense of timing that was being questioned by the Terrible Trio (hereafter referred to as “TT” for ease of typing) before I started on anything else…

As for the whole CigarPass issue – well, here you go…

My first concern was when I noticed 4 new members (TT & GarGirl) had started posting in various threads, usually at least the TT, but commonly involving GarGirl, within minutes of each other, sending numerous posts back and forth, for what I assumed to be post-padding. After checking their profiles, I discovered that three of them (I don’t remember which three, and there memberships have been removed from CP, so I can’t double-check) had all registered in two minutes. This made me wary of them, but I kept silent for the time being, not wanting to cause any trouble. However, within a week of their joining, Henry starts speaking the high praise of his beloved Lars. Not surprisingly, the remaining TT was responding to his posts, singing the high praises of Lars as well. Somehow, Lars cigars managed to find themselves into most of the current conversations regarding a favored cigar. Henry was a busy individual, and RagingBull, WileGuile, & GarGirl were always there, backing up his claims. It was around this time that someone questioned the validity of the separate users – he thought they were all the same person. Upon seeing that I was not the only one questioning this, I too chimed in with my concerns. Rod, the CP admin checked their IP addresses and confirmed that they were all different, and (I believe) all from different ISPs. I made a post about taking Rods word for it, that they from different ISPs, but I still had my own personal doubts. It just didn’t feel right.
Strange, but I think I’ve seen similar posts here…. But let me get back to the story.
To try and prove or disprove my doubts, I offered the foursome some introductory newbie packs, on the stipulation that I get a verifiable full name and mailing address from every one of them before any packages went out. I got GarGirls pretty quick, but the TT was slow to come around. Over time (maybe a week) the addresses start flowing in, with various discrepancies… I don’t remember who did what, but I had various problems such as only send a first name, P.O. boxes, having an obvious name in their email address, but having a completely different name on the mailing address – stuff like that.
Somewhere in the middle of all this, during a heated debate regarding (what else? ) lars (note the intentional lower case “L” there) cigars, I think I touched a nerve with Henry, because he made a comment to me “or you just may get a chance to met me sooner than you think.” To say I was shocked would have been an understatement! It’s one thing to discuss you passion of cigars. It’s another to take text-based banter and decide that it’s necessary to slyly threaten another human being with physical harm. I hoped I had perhaps somehow misinterpreted his meaning. I posted a reply asking him please tell me what he meant by his statement. He replied with an “Every one knows what I'm talking about.... Don't tell me you're that stupid too” message. I was floored. Had it really come to proposed violence? Now I was kinda upset. Here he was, trying to threaten me, but he’s too ball-less to actually come right out and do it? I continued asking him what his intentions were. Soon GarGirl sent me a subtle warning… “Haven't you seen the movies Dave, the streets are dangerous and rich people have a long reach. If you had an accident he would probably be in another country.” Wow! ANOTHER veiled threat! I’m all for free speech, but this was a little disconcerting, to say the least.
Now, in the middle of all this I was being harassed about the welcome packages that I had offered. Over a long-drawn out process, I received all the addresses, and explained the process that I would send them out (for all the details, please refer to Page 7 of the link I’ll supply at the end of this mess) which all hinged on my getting a straight answer from Henry. Maybe I wanted to get him to publicly threaten me, maybe I was trying to call his bluff – I don’t really remember, it was a while ago. Anyway… surprise, surprise! Henry kept avoiding the question, even after repeating warnings and a “one more chance” via a new thread, he still wouldn’t grow a set and say anything except more veiled threats. So after stating the reasons, I cancelled the welcome boxes. Soon after all this (I think it was the next day), The value of certain people membership was questioned, and Rod (CP admin) posted a thread where people would be allowed to nominate members that would be voted upon whether they would be voted off the board “Ala-Survivor”. The voting showed that everyone wanted Henry & WileGuile off, and most wanted RagingBull – so before it got out of hand, Rod made the executive decision to ban Henry & WileGuile due to their repeated violations of the terms of service agreement. Strangely enough, as soon as they were banned, RagingBull & GarGirl weren’t heard from again…

Well, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Feel free to email with questions regarding the whole matter. CigarEnthusiast@attbi.com

Thanks for listening to my story - hope you enjoyed it!
DaveWF

Some links for your information - please note the Henry is identified as Guest, as his membership has been cancelled:

Here's where the flame was started:
http://www.cigarpass.com/cgi-bin/iko...ct=ST;f=4;t=93

Here is my final ultimatum to Henry regarding the packages:
http://www.cigarpass.com/cgi-bin/iko...ct=ST;f=4;t=46

Here is the proposed voting:
http://www.cigarpass.com/cgi-bin/iko...ct=ST;f=4;t=71