Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-17-2002, 11:05 PM   #1
oedipus1
Club Member

I just received my new Aristocrat "mini" today. Beautiful dark red mahagony. O've always used passive humidification systems in all my humidors, but decided to go with the Cigar Oasis in this one. It'll be going down in the rec room, and as soon as I decide on the color scheme and woods for my new living room pieces, I'll be ordering one of the larger Aristocrats to match.

I have a question for you guys that are experienced with the Cigar Oasis. This is a copy of the email I just sent Bob Staebell. Comments are welcome. Thanks.
---------------------------------------------

Hi Bob- Follow up to my previous email.

I have the new "mini" set up with the CO on the middle shelf, in the back, about 1/2" out all around from the back right corner, with the long side against the back wall (front of CO facing the door). I have a newly calibrated digital hygrometer on the opposite end of the shelf (kitty-corner). I decided, since I'll be keeping my cigars, which are 90% Cuban, at 64-65% RH, to turn the unit all the way down (yellow dial on top all the way left, or counterclockwise) to start with, and turn it up as needed until it has stabilized at 65%. However. the unit has been running now for about six hours, and even though it's turned down all the way, the RH is at 68%. The room itself is at 48% RH.

Could this be a sensor problem with the unit (it does turn on and off by itself, by the way), or is this normal and will it settle down? I realize also that once I put my cigars in the cabinet, the RH will change and it may take a while and a few adjustments to maintain the RH I want. I guess my biggest concern at this moment is that if I have this unit turned all the way down, and I'm getting a 68% RH reading, how can I hope to maintain 64-65% RH?
oedipus1 is offline   Reply With Quote