Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:53 AM   #11
tonycsmoke
Club Member

The local cigar shop has one of the powerful $3000 overhead units that can handle quite a few customers. The company that installed it wanted to market bookshelf units. They put one in the shop for a few weeks. They would turn off their overhead unit and use this little bookshelf unit. It worked almost as well as the big overhead unit. I know it used everytype of filter possible including UV. They unit sold for $900 - $1000. I can put you in touch with them if you like.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:18 AM   #12
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Vern and Reb, I live in Ames.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:11 AM   #13
Rebgen

When, and if, outdoor smoking weather returns it'd be good to find a place north of DSM to spark a few good ones and say hello. Otherwise the only indoor place I'm aware of is Pars n Cigars in WDM. Ducktail's has a heated and partially protected patio that works when temps hit 50's.

It's been three months without a cigar and I'm jonsin big time.
Rebgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #14
gui_tarzan
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrundog View Post
Vern and Reb, I live in Ames.
Ames? Population fifteen? Do you know a guy named Rodger Sills? He used to own a company called Satco and sold model car kits and customizing parts. His tires were second to none and I met him about eight or nine years ago (could be longer) when we took a trip to the Mall of America. We stopped at his shop, the old school building, on the way back.

The four most dangerous words in the US government: "and for other purposes"

I am an AJ Fernandez ho...
gui_tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #15
wattsd

I work for a company that specializes in Air and Water quality, primarily water but we do have some systems designed for clean air.

The household system we typically sell uses DFS technology in addition to HEPA and chemical filtration. It basically will remove any particle .3 microns and greater out of the air at up to 100% efficiency. The EPA has suggested that particles around .3 microns are the most damaging to lung tissue.

For the record I have NOT tried this system in a smoking room but I am in the works of getting one in favorite lounge here to see how it actually works. I think the biggest thing here recognize is that there are systems out there that will do very well at removing smoke particles and smaller sized ones as well. I will be interested to see how often filters will have to be replaced as that is the only real expense after purchase. If a system works great but needs new filters every 4 months...thats not really what we are looking for.

I know the system we carry works, as we have a laser particle counter that can measure the efficiency. The big question I would have before recommending this system is how long will the filters last?

If I remember correctly it uses an 80% HEPA filter in conjuction with DFS technology. (DFS= Disinfecting filtration system- uses an electric grid type thing to clump small particles into larger ones that are more easily filterable with the lower rated HEPA filter) It also has some GAC filter as well as a filter containing pottasium permanganate and other oxidizers.

I have talked to a few people at the EPA in regards to filters for smells and they "unofficially" say that ozone still works great. If you can crank up the system while you are away for the day and then have it turn off before you get home it works the best will little risk.

I will try and get the system we sell into a smoking lounge and see what happens.

wattsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #16
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by gui_tarzan View Post
Ames? Population fifteen? Do you know a guy named Rodger Sills? He used to own a company called Satco and sold model car kits and customizing parts. His tires were second to none and I met him about eight or nine years ago (could be longer) when we took a trip to the Mall of America. We stopped at his shop, the old school building, on the way back.
Ames, IA. is where ISU is. Population is about 50K during the school year.

Never heard of the guy. And I'm not sure what old school building that might be. But hey, I'm still kinda new here.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #17
gui_tarzan
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrundog View Post
Ames, IA. is where ISU is. Population is about 50K during the school year.

Never heard of the guy. And I'm not sure what old school building that might be. But hey, I'm still kinda new here.
Ah, you're right. I'm thinking of Stanley, not Ames.

The four most dangerous words in the US government: "and for other purposes"

I am an AJ Fernandez ho...
gui_tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:46 AM   #18
vernonator
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebgen View Post
When, and if, outdoor smoking weather returns it'd be good to find a place north of DSM to spark a few good ones and say hello. Otherwise the only indoor place I'm aware of is Pars n Cigars in WDM. Ducktail's has a heated and partially protected patio that works when temps hit 50's.

It's been three months without a cigar and I'm jonsin big time.
Sounds like a plan..I know how you feel, with our no-smoke nazi's there is nowhere to enjoy a stick in the winter. There are a few places with good patio's that we could hit when the weather breaks....
vernonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:18 AM   #19
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernonator View Post
Sounds like a plan..I know how you feel, with our no-smoke nazi's there is nowhere to enjoy a stick in the winter. There are a few places with good patio's that we could hit when the weather breaks....
That's why every man needs a man cave. No one tells me when I can or cannot smoke.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote