Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 05-16-2002, 02:15 PM   #1
sd_smoker
Club Member

I'm planning on building a fridge-a-dor here pretty soon. I stil haven't decided if I'm gonna go with full-sized fridge or one of those mini-fridge's.
So here are my questions:

1. How many sticks do you estimate your fridge will hold comfortably?

2. Second, how exactly do you wire a computer fan from the power source and how might you set it up to run on a timer? Assume I know nothing about electronics, because... well... I don't!

3. The fridge will be in the garage and I'm a little worried about the cold temps in the winter. Believe it or not, here in San Diego we regularly have nights where the temp is in the high 30's to low 40's. Is the insulation enough to maintain the decent daytime temps through the night? Would it be worth investing in the heat pad and the "duel mode" thermostat from WilliamsBrewing.com (http://www.williamsbrewing.com/AB160...D=519&CATID=12)?

TIA!!

"The wise are inclined to the right, but the fools to the left." - God(Ecclesiastes 10:2)
"Personal charisma is a force that undermines institutions as often as it sustains them. Political institutions need the more reliable buttresses of tradition and duty. Mass emotionalism and celebrity-worship are hostile to any constitutional system."
sd_smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 02:49 PM   #2
DanB
Herf Meister

sd, when I bought my temp controller, I went for the heating pad, too. It's been great. I'm in Northern Ca., so my winter temps are about the same. Even during extended periods of cold and rain (30s and 40s), the heating pad can keep the fridge at 65 degrees no problem. I think the dual mode temp controller is only another 50 bucks or so -- well worth it, IMO.

I have a full size fridge and I'd guess that it can hold about 50 or 60 boxes.

i have no idea how to hook up the fan. The active humidifying device I have already has a pretty big fan, so I haven't worried about anything else.

Full size fridges are fairly easy to come by and you can find them used for fairly cheap. (My neighbor gave me mine.) Add in the costs of a temp controller and an active humidifier and for less than the cost of a decent desktop humidor, you've got a system that can protect 1,200+ sticks!

Old 05-16-2002, 03:41 PM   #3
sd_smoker
Club Member

Thanks Dan! What active humidifying device are you using? Also, is your fridge an older model? I've heard people recommend not using newer fridge's for some reason. Something about the moisture getting sucked out of the air when the unit cycles. Or maybe that only applies to freezers...

"The wise are inclined to the right, but the fools to the left." - God(Ecclesiastes 10:2)
"Personal charisma is a force that undermines institutions as often as it sustains them. Political institutions need the more reliable buttresses of tradition and duty. Mass emotionalism and celebrity-worship are hostile to any constitutional system."
sd_smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 04:32 PM   #4
DanB
Herf Meister

I'll have to look when I get home -- I've forgotten the model of active humidifier. And yes, mine is a frost free model, which means it tries to suck all the moisture out of the air when the fridge is running. But the active humidifier just keeps running to bring it back up to 65%, which is where I keep it. During the middle of the summer, when the temps in the garage get over 100 degrees almost every day, I go through a LOT of water!