Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:04 AM   #1
JSBond

Types of lighters: Which is best?

I'm just looking for opinions on the best lighter as far as style, size, longevity, ease of use, and price.

I know there are a ton of lighter companies such as: Monarch, Nibo, Zippo, Galaxy, Colibri, etc...

There are many styles as well: Torch, windproof, multi-flame, pocket, desk, and of course the fun novelty lighters.

Just last Friday, I was having a smoke at a friend's home and he pulls out this Lightsaber...I mean it was as big as and looked just like a Jedi Lightsaber and had 5 multi-flame torches. Way too big for any one little cigar...but, we both had a good laugh. He said, he found it at a novelty store and he couldn't pass up the fun. You don't point that thing towards your face...you'd burn out your retinas.

Anyhow...I grew up with the good old Zippo flip top lighter. It's nice and all (for a cigarette smoker), but it doesn't do a great job with cigars...and I'd rather the torch style with maybe 2 or 3 burners at the most.

Any suggestions for an economical, yet effective cigar lighter?

Alternatively, what's the best out there? Or is it just preference?

"Light 'em up!"
JSBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Personal preference weighs heavily into this discussion. Most people probably prefer butane lighters because they don't taint your cigar with the kerosene flavor of lighter fluid. Some folks prefer a soft flame butane lighter, but I prefer a torch. I like the control you have (for initial lighting and touch-ups) once you learn how to drive a torch.

For me, the Blazer PB-207 stands at the top of the heap, not for aesthetics, but for functionality. In addition to being rock-solid in terms of reliability, you can also use them for soldering, which has come in very handy for me at times. Can't do that with a Zippo or a soft flame!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
K_Duffer
Starting Member

I have a single torch Prometheus and it works great. I actually prefer using a good old match when I'm indoors, but the torch is invaluable outdoors, especially on a golf course. Single torch works fine. I'm not sure if this is true, but I have had the lighter mechanisms get clogged and had to send it in for repairs. I wonder with multiple flames you also increase the chance of more mechanical problems.
K_Duffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
Breech
Club Member

Generally I use Strike Anywhere matches when in the garage, but everywhere else I only use a Ronson Jet Lite (torch), they are $3 at WalMart, and I have my first one that is 3+ years old and have NEVER had a problem!!

Spend your money on the cigars you smoke, not how you light your crap!!

John

PS Welcome (yeah yeah, I know I am late).

Talkin' 'bout some back rent, she lucky if she get any front rent.- John Lee Hooker

Strike While The Iron Is Hot!!

Last edited by Breech; 03-11-2009 at 04:28 AM.
Breech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
R-Sun
Starting Member

I have a Colibri and a Xikar that both broke in about a year or so. The Xikar lasted longer. I just use a cheap refillable butane lighter and matches when I can. I wouldnt waste money on an expensive lighter.
R-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
Smoker06
Herf God

As stated earlier, it's all personal preference.

I went for years using nothing but soft flame lighters. But now I use a Z-plus insert in a Zippo case. I like the look of a zippo and like the performance of the single jet torch.

Sure, a triple flame torch makes short work of lighting a 54 RG monster. But that's about all it's good for. You can get the same job done with a single torch, it just takes longer. And over the 45 minutes it takes to smoke a cigar, what's an extra 20 seconds?

BTW, the Z-plus is made by Blazer, a quality torch lighter mentioned earlier by MadDawg. The only drawback is the tank is smaller than the PB-207 requiring more frequent refills.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #7
SmoKerch
Herf God

No "best".

Your choice.

The Great State of Confusion

Just because I may be paranoid, it doesn't mean there aren't people out there trying to get me.

Visit us on The Facebook: Kercheval Bros. Procrastination Consultants !

Galatians 5:24 - NLT
SmoKerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #8
xikar
Starting Member

I am biased (I work for XIKAR) but I agree: different strokes for different folks. Some people like the experience of a cedar or wood match light. I do too on occasion.

For a night out when I'll be sharing cigars I always carry a jet flame because conversations start and my cigar goes out - then I need a good relight.

Andy (marketing guy from XIKAR)
xikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #9
PLUSH
Club Member

I pretty much use my Blazer as I smoke outside. I've had a Xikar wind-proof (which it really was not much), sent it back. I also have a Xikar dual torch that I got from CBID, it crapped out after maybe 3 months. It just depends where you are lighting up and your preferences.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
JSBond

Man, this is great stuff guys...I appreciate the reviews.

And check this out, johnleeiii:
http://www.ronsonstore.com/jetlite.aspx
Discount on price (if I don't want to go to Wal-Mart)
Free Shipping
Free refill

Um...I might even get both styles just because I like the deal.

Additionally, I LOVE my Zippo...so, I'm going to have to look into that Z-plus insert. I didn't know they existed...but, it makes sense. I found a price of $9.95 on one website...reviews on the product were mixed...but, hell it's not that expensive.

Thanks!

"Light 'em up!"
JSBond is offline   Reply With Quote