Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 07-28-2002, 02:49 PM   #1
dksheehan
Starting Member

I have a 500 count humidor that is 85% full and I use only distilled water.. The cigars on the bottom are fine. The cigars that are on the top shelf a moist to the touch and some of them have started to split. The humidor won’t go below 72%RH even when I leave the humidor open for hours at a time with NO humidification element. My questions are:

1) how do I lower the RH of my humidor?
2) how do I allow moist cigars to return to their smokable state?

Thank you all in advance for any and all help. It is greatly appreciated.

Dan
dksheehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 02:58 PM   #2
brownman

most humidors come standard wit worthless humidifers. Do a search here and you will find hundreds of success stories with "climaxx" beads. Sounds like you need the 65% variety....

These are little beads, that need a little distilled water, and nothing else. they are very easy to use, and you can use little plastic shot glasses (maybe 3-4 of them) if im visualizing your humidor correctly.

but before you waste another minute or penny on this box, make sure the seal is tight. If the seal is no good, nothing will help.
Old 07-28-2002, 03:00 PM   #3
brownman

take those cigars out of the humi and leave them out for at least a few days.

That is assuming you live in a place with low humidity. If the humidity where you are is very high, put the smokes in a tupperware, and send me your address, i can fedex you enough 65% beads to hold you over for a few days until you can get your own.
Old 07-28-2002, 03:18 PM   #4
stempler
Club Member

dksheehan;

Is your humidor wood or plastic? If it is wood you can pull your humidifacation device out for a few days and the relitive humidity should lower itself. I would also rotate your stock uppon doing that. You should also do a hygometer check as well. At 72% your cigars should not be splitting. 82% yes. And do you live where it is hot and is your humi hot? at the end of the day. My wood humi gets hot and the relative humidity rockets uppward. I had to get the wine cooler to get me thourgh the summer months. And by all means use the beeds in whatever humidor you use they are wonderful little things. You can find the hygrometer calibration at this address.http://www.cigarnexus.com/counsel/. Good luck and please keep us posted. You find an enormous ammount of help on this board
stempler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 04:16 PM   #5
finnman

Very good advise, brownman.