Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
Black Plague
Herf Meister

Romeo y Julieta Short Churchill

I just got a box of these and I promised myself I would let them sit for at least a week. Looks like I lied to myself again! I dry-boxed it overnight to try to alleviate some of the excess moisture from its journey, then brewed a pot of coffee in the French press, and set about exploring this new edition to the Romeo y Julieta marca.

Romeo y Julieta
Short Churchill
4 7/8 x 50 Robusto (UAS ABR06)

Prelight: A stunning, ruby-tinged colorado claro wrapper. Glossed over in an oily sheen with nary a vein or spot to mar its beautiful. Seriously, one of the best wrapper leafs I've seen in a few months. Smooth to the touch, slightly box-pressed, and topped with a nicely-done, blunted cap. The presentation was beautiful as well, with a vibrant red Romeo y Julieta band in the new "Desde 1875" style and an embossed gold band bearing the name "Short Churchill" below it in the style of the Romeo y Julieta Churchill band. Cut very nicely and prelight draws revealed the strong flavors of tobacco and cedar.

Beverage: Medium-roasted Colombian Supremo coffee. I thought its bright, wine-like acidity and mild body would be a nice compliment to a Romeo y Julieta cigar.

Flavor: The palate entry was incredibly fierce, not surprizing considering the age of the sample. Incredibly strong, peppery attack that was a bit harsh on the sense, but surprizingly mellowed down considerably within the first ten puffs. As it mellowed, I could discern the underlying flavors better. Cedary, floral, with pepper-encrusted toasted tobacco. A fruity twang smacking of fresh strawberries and blood oranges, all dusted with chili-limon powder. The aroma was strong and peppery, with the usual toasty, floral Romeo aroma hiding underneath. One-third down, the cigar found its grove and the strong spice was all but gone. Here it revealed itself to be a cigar in the classic Romeo y Julieta profile: floral and fruit flavors abundant, but only subtley sweet, lending more twang and tartness than sugar to the smoke, gently toasted tobacco, and a miles-long, creamy finish of kiln-dried Spanish cedar. These flavors would persist throughout the body of the smoke, amazing me with how complex they already were with a mere three months of age. Nearing the final third, I did hit a tannic spot that gave a little bitterness. Thankfully, it subsided in intensity to a more black tea-like taste. The floral notes grew ever stronger. The aroma was rich, cedary, and floral with just a whiff of black pepper. Medium-bodied.

Construction: The burn had a permanent lean on one side, but I don't fault the torcedor. It was undoubtably because of my impatience to smoke this new vitola and not allowing enough time for the cigar's humidity to properly settle, as it did go out unexpected near the end from the excessive moisture still locked within it. The ash was a bit flaky as a result, but held well and ranged from stark black to blue-tinted gray. The draw was ample.

Summary: Big WOW! And I mean it! I've never tasted a cigar that was so young yet already possessed so much finesse and so much promise! There are still some rough edges to be smoothed, such as the harsh start and a few tannins, but this cigar has incredible aging potential. Aside from those two negative spots, neither of which detracted very much from the experience, this cigar is already developing complexity and balance and can only continue to do so as it ages. This and the Partagás Serie P No. 2 are both incredible new editions to the world of Cuban cigars that even under a year old already beat the pants off this year's and last's Edición Limitada offerings. Flavor-wise, I can't say I have enough experience with the Romeo y Julieta Churchill to judge whether its new, shorter brother has a similar blend, but it definitely has a classic Romeo taste that likens itself to a more floral, twangier Exhibición No. 4. To my taste buds, it reminds me very much of the (now discontinued) handmade Romeo No. 2 de Luxe. Thanks for reading. I hope this satisfied some of the curiosity over this new vitola.
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote