Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-26-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
H311oLHD
Herf Meister

Illusione 88

I wanted to start this review out by saying that I was a huge skeptic when it came to this brand. I didn't know if it would be one of those mis-hyped cigars or not, so tonight I thought I'd try one out and form my own opinion!

Cigar: Illusione 88
Setting: Back patio on a muggy, but very peaceful evening.
Drink: None
Total smoke time: roughly 1 hr

The Illusione 88 is a very stunning cigar. I really like the white and black label and I also like it's simplicity. The wrapper was a nice milk chocolate brown color, that had a few minor veins, but nothing too serious. As all Illusiones have, it had a very nicely placed triple cap (love it!) The prelight draw had me a tad worried, it was very loose, which was surprising because the cigar didn't feel spongy at all to the touch.

I noticed over on newhavana.com that they categorized the 88 as a full bodied cigar, and I completely agree with them. It was a very complex cigar, but it was NOT a nicotine bomb. I really enjoy full bodied cigars, but I have been running into a lot of nicotine bombs as of late. I noticed a lot of spice in this cigar, as well as a hint of cream *I think?* on the aftertaste. At one point I also thought I picked up some traces of chocolate. The last 1/4 tasted only of fantastic tobacco, which was quite tasty!

The construction was top notch, which is always a plus in any cigar smoker's book. The ash was a light grey color and held on for two inches and fell off about an inch and a half away from the band. I only ashed twice the entire cigar. My only knock on this cigar (which is why it didn't get a tad higher rating) was that it didn't burn evenly the entire time. I didn't have to make any touch ups, but I easily could have if I was anal about it. That being said, whenever it did get uneven, the cigar seemed to notice this and corrected itself after a few minutes.

Overall: I would HIGHLY recommend my fellow BOTL to try these cigars for themselves (but not before I get mine!!) If I come across the money and room for a box of these, I will definitely pull the trigger! I really enjoyed this cigar, one of the best I have had this summer.

Rating: 92/100
Rest In Peace Cubano.
Charter Member, MCLC
“Making others green with envy”™
H311oLHD is offline   Reply With Quote