Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:29 PM   #1
Brewha51
Starting Member

What to look for in a quality humidor

I'm fairly new to this hobby. So new in fact, that I don't have a humidor. So that I can be on the lookout for a quality one that fits my needs, can those more experienced than I help a noob out with what to look for? What they like in a humidor? Tell-tale sign of poor ones? Certain websites that carry quality products? Etc...

Thanks to all.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:37 PM   #2
ElkTwin

Welcome to CW! This is a good question for the Cedar Room. You want a box with a decent seal and containing enough cedar or other hydroscopic wood to buffer your humidity properly.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:28 AM   #3
tonycsmoke
Club Member

There are really two kinds of humidors out there. Mass produced and the custom jobs. The mass produced ones you'll find at your local shop and online. There is about 7 or 8 different models and they are good humidors. They hold humidity fairly well and work fine.

The custom jobs are are rock solid - look better than the mass produced ones and are expensive.
If your just starting out - I would go with a mass produced one to begin with. You can always start a coolador as well - if you discount looks, that's cheapest best one of them all.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:04 AM   #4
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycsmoke
...I would go with a mass produced one to begin with. You can always start a coolador as well - if you discount looks, that's cheapest best one of them all.
That's good advice. You can always upgrade later when you have a better idea of precise requirements (wants + needs).

Look around. Post some links to boxes you are considering. We'll give you some input.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
smoore
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrundog
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycsmoke
...I would go with a mass produced one to begin with. You can always start a coolador as well - if you discount looks, that's cheapest best one of them all.
That's good advice. You can always upgrade later when you have a better idea of precise requirements (wants + needs).

Look around. Post some links to boxes you are considering. We'll give you some input.
Welcome to CW.
Good advice from these guys. A coolerdor is a great way to go while you search for the perfect humidor for your needs.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:38 PM   #6
MrOrange

How much are you looking to spend and how many cigars are you looking to store? Are you looking for a wood humidor or just a good storage device? ie coolidor?
If I had to start over again with what I know now, I would get a pound of Heartfelt beads, a couple bead socks, a cooler, and a digital hygrometer, and be done with it. It would cost about $70 for that setup and you could store 20 to 150+ cigars at perfect temp and humidity.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:54 PM   #7
jaybo41
Club Member

From my personal experience, spend the money and get a decent one, some of them are thousands, some are hundreds. You can get a great one for no more than $200. Also, I'd STRONGLY recommend picking up some humidification beads and a digital hygrometer. Those analog ones they come with aren't even good for target practice Even if that means a little more than you wanted to spend, if you're serious about smoking and collecting cigars, get something that you won't have to worry about. Why risk ruining your cigars?

Why buy one only to replace it later with better quality. IMHO, Savoy makes a very nice one for the money. Also, make sure you go BIGGER than you actually think. Right now 150 sounds big, but believe me, I have one sized at approximately 150 and another that sized at 75. Plus one more that I'm not even using that will hold about 40. If the money is an issue, get a piece of tupperwear and use that for a while. There is also a BOTL here, xrundog who reconditions them. Perhaps he's worth looking into. I've heard from many here that he does outstanding work.

Hope that helps, good luck and again, to CW!
jaybo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:23 AM   #8
Brewha51
Starting Member

Thanks to all for the input. I found THIS humidor on a popular auction site.

or
Old 03-04-2006, 11:19 AM   #9
lucasbuck
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewha51
Thanks to all for the input. I found THIS humidor on a popular auction site.

or
I've got one and it is a good humi. Try Bargain Humidors scratch and dent section. They may have some for a better price and they are near perfect. I can't find a defect of any kind on mine.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:58 PM   #10
Rebgen

First of all read this: http://forums.cigarweekly.com/viewtopic.php?t=23852 After you find the desktop humidor that you really like, consider a coolerdor for your growing inventory. You won't be able to stop it if you plan on hanging around here much. I wanted a really nice looking desktop when i was starting out too. I ended up with a special from JR's a long time ago. Honestly, my coolerdors ARE my best performing humidors....they just don't look good sitting on my desk.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.
Rebgen is offline   Reply With Quote